Canine bloat video

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FourPawz, Nov 21, 2011.

1. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    The video below shows the symptoms of canine bloat. This is a condition that is 95% fatal. If you see your large breed dog in the early stages of bloat, it is critical to get him to a vet immediately. Waiting until morning to see if he is better will result in a dead dog.

2. rwbwfarm

rwbwfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    NY
    I agree - it's not a 'wait & see' issue. We've had sucess with surgery with ours - 'only' lost one. Horrible to see their pain..... Not something I would wish on anyone.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

How does it happen? What causes it?
    Are there any other signs besides a swollen belly?

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Oh my! That video is of the breed i own! Are Akita's more prone to it? If so what are the signs and how is it contracted and prevented?

5. rwbwfarm

rwbwfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    NY
    Any deep chested breed is more prone to it. Ours tried to vomit but nothing comes up as the stomach twists. Pacing & acting uncomfortable are also signs. They can gas bloat, too - had one that we had to walk just like horses with colic to get her to pass gas. She unfortunately ended up twisting eventually but the surgery went well. Vets can also 'tack' their stomach while getting spayed/neutered but it's not a guarantee it won't happen. I feel that certain lines of breeds can have it as our line of Majestic Hounds had it but the line we have now never had any. There's really no specific cause - some people say dogs that 'inhale' their food may do it but ours basically did it out of the blue. Nothing brought it on.

6. Love is Forever<3

Love is Forever<3 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Doesn't matter...
    I had a dog die from bloat. [​IMG]

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a black lab. I don't know if he's the right breed for it but I sure hope not. He is 8 years old and still going strong. I don't want to lose him to anything except old age!
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Love [​IMG]

8. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I'm not going to watch the video, as I experienced it first hand when I lost my dear Sophie just two weeks ago to GDV.

[​IMG]

We miss you, sweet lady!

9. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    We lost a dog to that years ago. Dyna was her name. She was the best dog. A once in a life time dog. [​IMG] There are causes. Eating fast then running around, drinking fast and a lot after running around. Don't let you dog get really thursty and then chug water. Slow them down. Eating too much, like if they get into there food and don't stop. We lost our dog because the vet fed her after surgery. While my Mom was looking at her x-ray she saw food in her stomach. You are suppose to wait after surgery to feed them.
    She was a Burnese Mountain Dog.

10. equi

equi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    I've seen this happen before, i worked with dogs for 5 years. Its truely horrible. I have also seen it happen to horses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by