1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Canine juvenile cellulitis.... fyi.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MsMelvin, Nov 29, 2010.

1. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Have any of you ever had a problem with "puppy strangles"?

One of my labbie pups developed right after round 1 vaccines...almost lost her.

Started with tiny bump on one eye lid, then discharge from both eyes with upper respiratory infection. (Took her to vet here) Lameness in back left leg. Tiny bumps in ear flaps, swollen lymph nods in neck but appitite strong and drinking. Stool good and clear of parasites.

Progressing to total lameness (24 hours), unwilling to stand, depression (back to vet here), the glands in neck get very large and "strangle" the pup with out treatment. Dermatitis developes on muzzle, eyes swell, hair is gone around her eyes, mouth.

Kept taking her back until they figured it out! Blood work shows anemia and white count up.

Steriods are the only thing that works (antibiotics to assist)...so beware the symptoms all you dog people...you must act quickly.

I had never heard of this very rare disease...until now. Just a heads up...Sally

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Genuine strangles IS very rare. They get a juvenile pyoderma or skin infection that's much more common and a lot of vets will tell owners is strangles, but if it only responds to steroids it's definitely the real thing. I am so glad you figured it out and got it taken care of - scary!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Will the pup react to second round vaccination. Was the vaccine causative or is the appearance of this condition coincidental?

4. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    All the research I've done thus far; they just don't know what causes it.

Immune system triggers this "reaction". The only thing that was done that had anything to do with immune system was that shot. The pup was perfectly healthy before that shot...the largest, strongest of the litter.

Seems that reported cases of this disease always happen directly followin first vaccines; coincidense....what would you think?

Scary indeed!

Anyone know more about it, please share...I'm looking for any and all information available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by