Caning

archeryrob

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
Western Maryland
I did a search and did not turn up any thread in gardening or cooking for caning. did I miss it, or no one does it? We caned pickles, salsa, cowboy candy (wow), apple butter, pawpaw butter, chicken and deer. experimenting in canned deer soup, stroganoff and chicken soup to be noodle or rice after opening.

Only attached pawpaw pics. OMG this stuff is awesome. making a whole pot next year.

Attachments

• Pawpaw3_s.JPG
    Pawpaw3_s.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Pawpaw5_s.JPG
    Pawpaw5_s.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Pawpaw1_s.JPG
    Pawpaw1_s.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 3
I did a search and did not turn up any thread in gardening or cooking for caning. did I miss it, or no one does it? We caned pickles, salsa, cowboy candy (wow), apple butter, pawpaw butter, chicken and deer. experimenting in canned deer soup, stroganoff and chicken soup to be noodle or rice after opening.

Only attached pawpaw pics. OMG this stuff is awesome. making a whole pot next year.
I love in pawpaw country and can never find any. Never heard of pawpaw butter! There was a canning thread, you may have not found it because you're spelling canning wrong. It happens! Definitely a gardening thread too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/page-2871 <--- The gardening thread is enormous. Mostly for random banter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/gardening.16176/ <---You can post specific gardening questions or topics on the gardening forum (which is where you posted)

I thought there used to be a large thread on canning, but I couldn't find it. You can always make a new one! Every year I can tomatoes and spaghetti sauce, green beans, beets, and salsa verde. If I have a good enough season, I like to can salsa. I don't have fruit trees but have be gifted fruits and will make jams, jellies, butters, and pie filling with any fruits.

I can 55-60 quarts of tomatoes every year. This year I also did salsa, apple butter, cherry jam, and cranberry/cherry jam. I like having food put by that doesn't need electricity, as it's almost a given that our power will go out, sometimes for several days.

Next year I might do beans. Those require pressure canning.

We started canning this year. We put up southern peas, corn, vegetable soup,Chile sauce, squash and pinto beans. I would love to try that recipe for PawPaw butter if you wouldn’t mind sharing it! We just found several trees on our property this fall.

Sure, it's all on my blog here. I could hardly gather any this year as I was late. My daughter told me we need more and where can she buy some. :lol: I had to tell her no one sells pawpaw as they are a lot of work for small reward. But man do they taste great. I love our apple butter and pawpaw beats it hands down in flavor.

Last edited:
if you don't mind me asking what is a pawpaw and whats it taste like?

this year we canned some pickles (beans, cucumbers, onions and beets) also made wild cranberry jam.

thinking if i get a bear this spring if i should can it.

if you don't mind me asking what is a pawpaw and whats it taste like?

this year we canned some pickles (beans, cucumbers, onions and beets) also made wild cranberry jam.

thinking if i get a bear this spring if i should can it.
Pawpaw looks sort of like a mango and supposedly tastes sort of like a banana. They are not a very shelf-stable fruit and bruise easily which is why they are uncommon in grocery stores. I believe they are native to the Appalachians. At least I know for sure they grow wild around here.

Attachments

• 69465083-1B72-4C85-8C2C-FE9818EFCEF6.jpeg
    69465083-1B72-4C85-8C2C-FE9818EFCEF6.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 92BFBD52-7703-437B-B32E-6E1C2507B0E4.jpeg
    92BFBD52-7703-437B-B32E-6E1C2507B0E4.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2
Pawpaw looks sort of like a mango and supposedly tastes sort of like a banana. They are not a very shelf-stable fruit and bruise easily which is why they are uncommon in grocery stores. I believe they are native to the Appalachians. At least I know for sure they grow wild around here.
thank you. that is most likely why i never heard of them, and for the fact they don't grow anywhere near here.

Back
Top Bottom