Canker? Growth on and in Roosters mouth.

electriclights

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2018
Burlington, WA
Hello, I need help identifying what I pulled out of my roosters face.

I have a polish rooster who I noticed a week ago had a huge growth on his mouth. I don't know how long it had been there as he has a big old head of hair that hangs and covers most of his face.

I separated him from the rest of the birds and started to treat this black growth that was growing out of his face. I don't know how else to describe it other than the biggest blackhead I've ever seen that was erupting out of his face. I gave him vetRX orally, and then soaked a Q-tip in alcohol and applied it to the inner mouth growth and to the side of the face where the rest of the growth was. I softened the growth and was unable to remove it. I slathered it in Veteceryn, made sure he had clean water with a little rooster booster and put him in his private cage. I repeated this process for a week, every once in a while I'd be able to get a little tiny chunk of the growth off. It wasn't continueing to grow but it certainly wasn't getting any smaller unless i physically removed a piece of the growth.

Yesterday I finally got the growth soft enough to pull out. Oh my gosh, this was the worst feeling in the world. He handled it really well, I'm sure he wanted this thing out of his face pretty badly as well!!

I should have taken pictures of the growth IN his face but I didn't. However once I removed them I found that they were black on the surface, but dark yellow underneath. Can anyone confirm what this growth is??? I am attaching the photos of what I removed from his little face.

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191028174412134_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20191028174412134_COVER.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the rooster before it was removed? How did his beak smell when this was there? It might be canker, a protozoan organism that is carried by pigeons and can be spread to chickens by them or carrier birds. Metronidazole is one of the drugs that can treat canker, and it is available online as FishZole. Dosage is 250 mg given once a day or in 2 divided doses every 12 hours. The picture below is presumed to be canker. It is said to smell very bad. Here is a link for FishZole:
https://www.allivet.com/p-2393-fish...ZImA86gngpHTWAL8dnHqjlHWF5BBh1YxoCtTwQAvD_BwE

upload_2019-10-29_15-39-3.jpeg

I didn't smell anything when working in close quarters with him however I didn't put my nose in his face to sniff either.

No pictures of it on the bird, I wish I did. It definitely was on one side of his mouth like your photo, kinda looked like cheese. Looks similar. I'll check out the meds online, thank you!

Canker is said to smell very rotten. There can be other reasons for similar growths inside the beak, such as fungal infection, bacterial, and viral infections (the wet form of fowl pox,) and there have also been some cases of cancer. Let us know how he gets along.

I would suspect they were fowl pox lesions too. Pictures would of helped. I've had male poultry have wounds around the beak from fighting. So it being a wound is always a possibility as well.

Back
Top Bottom