canker? lump in throat, bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thechooks22, Aug 13, 2013.

1. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    We thought she had a canker but now im not sure .... its bleeding....shes finding it soo hard to breath as its on the entrence of her wind pipe ...eating still.and drinking still ...i have been giving her antibiotics and apple cyder vinger in her water what else can i do ????

2. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]
    This was it a week ago

3. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]
    This is it now :'(

4. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Have you tried massaging her esophagus to see if it is a fixed or movable object? If she is acting fine otherwise, I'd let her be and just watch her. If it is blocking the windpipe and your babe is suffering, be kind and put her out of misery. It is harsh, but not knowing exactly what it is and therefor not being able to treat it, it is best not to let it suffer a slow painful death. She may have gotten something stuck in the throat which caused an infection. That would be my guess

5. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Hold on a sec- look up impacted crop! The stuff in the throat almost looks like feed that is in the crop.

6. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Its not removeable ......she had been completly fine until today...i was even going to let her back with the other hens because i couldn't see any problems with her .......but today that has completly changed
    Her personality has been the same ...its just her breathing ...and the fact that the lump is bigger ,and smells bad again, eating more then drinking

7. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I read your other post. Did you look at some of the links given? I'm sorry to say it doesn't look good. I hope the experience helps you in the future whether this one makes it or not. Good luck

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Looks like it could be thrush(candidiasis,yeast) What medication is she on? Is she taking Flagyl(metronidazole)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think it's yeast, canker or wet pox. You should be able to remove the pus with tweezers and I believe she will die if you don't.

-Kathy

10. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks.... i tryed and it started breeding and the blood goes down her wind pipe and she sneezed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by