CANKER!! natural/home remedies??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenshiha, Nov 17, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    So my hen has been weird lately,walking slow loosing weight, then today i picked her up and i didnt feel any food in her crop,but i saw her eating today,i opened her mouth and i found yellow cheesy gunk that smells bad!i knew she had canker.where i live,its hard to get medicine and fishzole or other canker treatments are not available,so i need any home remedies,please help me

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Canker is very contagious, and to be honest, most people with a lot of poultry would cull birds with canker. Especially if anti-protozoan drugs are not available. Many use acidified copper sulfate 1/4 tsp per gallon of water for 3 days every month to help prevent the infection in the rest of the flock. Flagyl or metronidazole might be available through a human doctor, since it is used wordwide in humans to treat certain infections.
    Another thing to consider is that yellow cheesy patches in the mouth can also be signs of wet fowl pox and infectious laryngotracheitis (ILT.) Both of those are viral diseases, not treated with antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by