canker? or something else? pictures

amanning0924

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
East Tennessee
I just noticed this afternoon that one of my EE hens has a swollen cheek and it looks like she may have something in the corner of her beak or then again it could be an infection of some kind. Im not sure where to begin and was hoping for some help/suggestions on where to start. There is no foul smell She is acting normal, the lump on her cheek doesnt feel hot to the touch, and she was very eager for some meal worms. When we picked her up and began to examine more closely the lump does feel hard but doesnt roll around like a cyst would ( if that makes sense). We tried to pull on it a little but since we arent sure if it is actually something impacted or an infection of some kind we didn't pull on it too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I just noticed this afternoon that one of my EE hens has a swollen cheek and it looks like she may have something in the corner of her beak or then again it could be an infection of some kind. Im not sure where to begin and was hoping for some help/suggestions on where to start. She is acting normal, the lump on her cheek doesnt feel hot to the touch, and she was very eager for some meal worms. When we picked her up and began to examine more closely the lump does feel hard but doesnt roll around like a cyst would ( if that makes sense). We tried to pull on it a little but since we arent sure if it is actually something impacted or just an infection of some kind we didn't pull on it too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

It could possibly be Canker. You may want to separate her and sanitize your flock watering stations as a preventative. If it is canker it's contagious..

Here is more information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1080266/canker (Picture post#10 , treatment post #6, 10, 13)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/773308/canker-treatment (Treatment Post#4, 7, 10)

Thanks Wyorp Rock for responding and the links on Canker. I have been doing some research this afternoon and came across the canker thread. I will quarantine her and def sanatize my waters. Gonna run out and see about some meds in the morning. Any idea how long it will take before we see improvement with the meds?

I have seperated her from the rest of the flock and sanatized my waterers. I went to every farm and pet store in my town and CAN NOT get the suggested metronidazole (fish zole) anywhere. I can order it online but to be honest I don't want to spend $40 on meds for a chicken especially if I don't actually know whats wrong. I picked up some tetracycline hydrochloride at the co-op and am gonna try that and see if it does anything. I also got some Vet Rx and will try that as well. i guess my main concern is it not spreading to the rest of my flock. What other things do i need to do besides sanitize the waterers??

I have seperated her from the rest of the flock and sanatized my waterers. I went to every farm and pet store in my town and CAN NOT get the suggested metronidazole (fish zole) anywhere. I can order it online but to be honest I don't want to spend $40 on meds for a chicken especially if I don't actually know whats wrong. I picked up some tetracycline hydrochloride at the co-op and am gonna try that and see if it does anything. I also got some Vet Rx and will try that as well. i guess my main concern is it not spreading to the rest of my flock. What other things do i need to do besides sanitize the waterers??

Keep her separated and maintain clean waterers and feeders.
Watch for any signs in the rest of your flock, if so separate the ones that have symptoms.

I hope she improves.
Let us know how she is doing.

Just wanted to post in case someone else should read this needing help. I treated my chicken with essential oils and am glad to say she is still alive and well and has no sign of the canker (if that's even what it was). I kept her separate from the flock just in case for a couple weeks. She was never lathargic or showed any outward signs of sickness other than the big mass in the corner of her beak. I doctored her with diluted oregano oil for several weeks. I applied a drop on the site and then pushed a couple drops down her throat with a syringe. No high dollar antibiotics required :)

Back
Top Bottom