Canker? Tried few treatments, not getting better

aaronmiles

Hatching
Dec 4, 2015
Hi all,

We have a Japanese bantam hen called Indy who is a member of the family. We recently noticed that she had a growth in one of her cheeks. Thinking it was just food getting stuck we cleaned out her beak area with a cotton bud and got out some grey and yellow looking muck (we assumed the yellow muck was just food) and sent her on her way, but it kept on coming back.

We took her to the local vet who thought it might be an abysses of some sort and gave us antibiotics for it and sent us on our way. It didn't get any better but it stopped it for a while but since it didnt get better, we took indy back to the vet who didnt really know what else to do.

I googled around and found here that its most likely canker, so went to the vet and got some different medicine. Once again it seems to have stopped it getting worse but its not any better. Below are some pics of what indy looks like after being locked up for a week with the water being changed every day.

Can anyone suggest what we can try next? We really dont want indy to be sick because as i say, she is a member of the family and such a good chook, she often takes on orphan chicks as her own without fuss and is a very placid little chicken.

The original medicine we gave her twice a day for 2 weeks

the 2nd lot of medicine we gave her while locked up for a week changing the water every day

What indy looks like after this treatment.

I will call and ask...

Should that mass in her cheek disappear when she is better? She doesn't look in pain, am I doing her harm by it not being fixed for so long?

ahhh okay, i'm just at a loss to know what to do next. I found this in reference to the difference?

Ronidazole is a nitroimidazole antibiotic/antiprotozoal from the same family as metronidazole. It is toxic to protozoa by virtue of the disruption of protozoal DNA. Ronidazole is considerably more effective than metronidazole in treating trichomonal infections. There is also some research that indicates that it may be effective to treat Giardia in dogs.
Although drugs from this family are used to treat trichomonal infections in birds, it is important not to use ronidazole in food animals due to concerns regarding carcinogenicity. Ronidazole is well absorbed following oral administration. It is not approved for either human or animal use in the United States therefore it is only available through compounding pharmacies.

They are in the same family, but the metronidazole comes in a pill form and a suspension, so it could be given orally twice a day, which would probably be more effective.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom