Canker?

Chickensforeveryone

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2019
Hi everyone! I’m a new member but have been reading through posts and articles from here that have been very helpful. I’m in canker crisis! Metronidazole I can only get at a vet (I’m in Canada) and I can’t bring her to a vet (my husband won’t go for that and to be honest we don’t have the money right now). I got some copper sulfate from the feed store for $3 for a pound. We don’t have any pigeons or doves really around our property that I’ve seen or even heard. So unless she was exposed to this before I got her and got stressed or something and now it’s breaking out. I have ACV in all the other waters cause I wasn’t sure about the copper sulfate for all of them. I’m giving it to the hen who’s in a separate area in a bowl and gave her some in a syringe this morning to make sure she’s drinking it with a bit of thyme extract cause I’ve read (only in one article) that it’s effective.

It looked worse yesterday but today it’s on the top of her mouth too in a small spot. Yesterday it had more of a greyish colour and when I wiped it it bled a so I stopped. Her jaw part is swollen too. That’s what I noticed first yesterday and she had thick saliva that was hanging out. She ate her bowl of food yesterday and today she’s mad and kicked the bowl around and food went everywhere. She’s too chicken in the group and use to being fully free ranged.

Could it be anything else other than a canker? She’s not lethargic, pooping, eating and drinking by the looks of it. No spots on her comb.
Will the copper sulfate effect eggs at all? I’ve read about giving it 3 days once a month to prevent it.

Attachments

• 4AB14F61-6298-40C2-A551-7EB9B6445CDF.jpeg
    4AB14F61-6298-40C2-A551-7EB9B6445CDF.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 35
You have no access to antifungal in Canada? Oh dear.... I wasn't aware. That's really what she needs, as far as I know.Hopefully, someone here has an alternative.
:fl

I hope this bumps your question up a bit. Heck, I'd be tempted to call my doc and say I've got a yeast infection.

Thanks, @casportpony . What do you suggest? Anti fungal for canker, antibiotic for bacterial infection. Any thoughts as to which kinds or how OP can get them?
If mine I would treat with Baytril and metronidazole. As for where to buy them, I would call the various pigeon supply sites and ask if they ship to Canada.

You have no access to antifungal in Canada? Oh dear.... I wasn't aware. That's really what she needs, as far as I know.Hopefully, someone here has an alternative.
:fl

I hope this bumps your question up a bit. Heck, I'd be tempted to call my doc and say I've got a yeast infection.

I can order API general cure from amazon which has metronidazole in it but it’ll take a week to get here. Just found that out through a previous post a couple years ago as I can’t get fish zole. A vet can prescribe it if I take her in.

If mine I would treat with Baytril and metronidazole. As for where to buy them, I would call the various pigeon supply sites and ask if they ship to Canada.

What would be the timeline for this. Everything will take a week or more to get here. I have copper sulfate in the main water for the other birds right now cause that’s all I could find yesterday. Will my other birds forsure have this now? The hen that has it is acting fine still. The first day wasn’t great.

If it's canker they can get it from sharing water and food dishes.

She was separated as soon as I noticed the growth inside. I just thought it was an injury at first so I left her out. But I guess it was contagious even before then? So it’s just maintenance from now? Stress or something will cause it to breakout in another chicken and just copper sulfate water 3 days once a month from now on?

Back
Top Bottom