Canned fish

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenwhisperer, Jun 15, 2010.

1. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    I offered to clean out some friends freezers this past weekend, and wound up with tons of old frozen veggies/fruits to give my birds in this heat, they love everything so far and it all seems to help coole them down.

I also got lots of canned food, veggies, fruits, and various others.
    I now have about 10 cans of Salmon, very similar to canned tuna, but well, salmon.

I tried it, and dont like it . . . they just grind everything up bones and all, and it gets stuck in my teeth and throat.

My chickens on the other hand, LOVE IT.
    I just spread out 2 cans for em, and everybody got some.

I figure the omega3 in the salmon is prolly great for em, they never lack in protein cause I only feed gamebird to all my birds.
    I guess a meal of yummy salmon 1x a week for the next 5 weeks will be ok, or should I space it out to 2 weeks.

My only concern is that the salmon is so rich it might not agree with their digestion.
    Shoot, I never even thought to offer the quails any, how insensitive of me . . .

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Its good for them.. too much at ta time may cause fishy eggs though...so just beware of that..
    If you have any dogs or cats its good for them too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by