Canned Lizard Food vs Canned Cat Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've read a number of posts about feeding canned cat food on occasion to your chickens to provide animal-based protein. i have not done that yet, but feel it might be helpful as the only feed i can find local contains soy protein. Also, we don't have a lot of yard space and very few bugs, so worried they aren't getting much protein there. i do buy them crickets and mealworms, but those are pretty expensive. Other day at Petco (while buying crickets and mealworms) i bought a can of Tortoise and Lizard Omnivorous Food, which looked like it might be a good supplement. i was hoping for input from the knowledgeable members here.

Here is what is in the lizard food: Fresh apples, fresh carrots, ground corn, whole peas, opuntia cactus, dextrose, soybean meal, fish bone meal, brewer's yeast, kelp powder, gums, banana flavoring, vitamin mix (rice hulls, choline chloride, riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, calcium carbonate, alpha di tocopheryl acetate, vitamin a acetate, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, vitamin D2 supplement, D-biotin, water sufficient for processing.

So, would that be better or not than occasionally feeding Newman's Own Organic canned cat food. Here are those ingredients: organic chicken, sufficient water for processing, salmon, ocean whitefish, brown rice, oat bran, flaxseed, guargum, dried kelp, tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sea salt, carrageenan, minerals from amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide, vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 supplements, thiamin mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin), taurine, choline chloride.

Or do i just keep buying them mealworms?

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I have never used lizard food but I prefer cat food. The ingredients for the lizard food seem to be mostly fruits and veggies. I think the cat food is a better choice with the chicken, fish, flaxseed, oat bran, and kelp, all which are (from what I understand) good for chickens. Of course, this is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever your decision is.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It depends on the lizard. Iggys only eat veggies and fruits.
    Uro's, Geckos, Tegus eat meat too.
    I think the turtle food should be okay, but I'd put some of the mealies in it...Is it the ZooMed Canned stuff?

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It's Zoo Menu Omnivorous Land Tortoise & Lizard Food.

i guess i will try a little of both, at different times. Expense-wise, the lizard food is more than twice as much, about $2.35 a can. But then mealworms are $7.99 a carton, and one carton is only good for one treat session with my gang of kids.

i sure wish there was such a contraption as a "cricket catcher". After dark our yard is teaming with them.

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    airheart,

I cant promise this will work but if I had that many crickets I would take a minner (oops minnnow) strainer and put a piece of potatoe in it and see if the crickets dont jump in to the get the potato and cant get back out.. be worth a try...

Oh .. I dont use cat food.. I use Moist and Meaty beef flavor dog food.. (its like Gaines Burger) ..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i will give that strainer trick a try.

The best cricket catcher we ever had was an old carpet my husband pulled out of his office. It sat in our driveway for months getting wet and yucky. i finally got fed up and decided to unroll it and cut it into pieces to put in the trash. When i unfurled it, millions of crickets, every size from teeny to huge, came sproinging out. Too bad i didn't have my chickens then!

7. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    drop me a line and let me know if it works for ya..

8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    HI ya'll! Airheart have you checked your local bait shop? I buy a tube of crickets that range in number from 80 -90 for $3.00 at the local bait store. Worms are about $2.00 for 25, alittle more expensive so a less frequent treat. I am alittle repulsed at the ide of feeding my chickens cat food when so much of it contains chicken byproducts/parts, yuck!!!!! I have read some of the labels and can't find any that didn't have some chicken in it and that is just too gross for me to feed my chickens chicken!! Your feed should have protien in it, have you looked at the label? [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think cat food has a higher protein content than dog food... either way it is animal protein. Somewhere on here was how to grow your own meal worms too using the chicken feed.

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    FluffyChickenMama-Well, i haven't tried the cricket minnow strainer idea, but did decide to open a can of the Newman's Own Organic Cat food. After a couple warning chirps, they took a bite, then wolfed it down in under 30 seconds. It's a huge hit.

Scrambed Egg - the Newman's Own is all organic, no by-products, super healthy. i do a ton of research for cat food for my own cats, so would never use anything with by-products. i'm not grossed out by feeding chicken to my chickens, they need the protein, and the chicken feed i buy only contains soy protein. i'm a vegetarian, but know my cats (and chickens) need meat, so try to buy the healthiest possible.

Sure sounds though like i need to find a local bait shop! i did read somewhere (probably here) about how to grow your own mealworms, but it seemed too complicated (anything more involved than three easy steps is beyond me). My chicks sure love the worms, though, so hope to find a cheap source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by