cannibal chicks!!! update end of page 1: Cannibal Mama!!! :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jul 8, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my chicks arrived in the mail this morning, and 2 had gotten squashed (like steam roller style), and the chicks were EATING them. EATING their intestines... do I need to give them grit?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    There is enough grit in the chick starter- don't worry. Sorry you had to see that...Chicks look so innocent, but....Hoping your others will be healthy and happy!

3. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    This actually is very common behavior in a lot of animals as a survival mechanism in order to get rid of bodies that might attract predators. It's hard to see but they were just acting on pure instinct, so I don't think there's much to worry about behavior wise.

4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Chickens are cannibles and will eat anything dead and squishy in a heartbeat. Its just in there nature. sorry for your loss.

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    ewww. I love your question, though. It puts it all in perspective.

chickensducks&agoose :

my chicks arrived in the mail this morning, and 2 had gotten squashed (like steam roller style), and the chicks were EATING them. EATING their intestines... do I need to give them grit?​

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Quote:Plus, they taste like chicken! [​IMG]

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Plus, they taste like chicken! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chickensducks&agoose

well, they ARE meat birds, but still it made me cry. it made the post office lady cry too. I think the baby goose squashed them, and then they got eaten... the hatchery said that there was enough grit in the chick starter, and I shouldn't worry about it... still though, ugh. I'm going to try to slip the remaining chicks under a broody mama.. I showed her one this afternoon, and she did not seem real maternal, unless you call head pecking a loving gesture... Also, it was really warm the past day or two, and by the time I got the box this morning, it stank, bad. yuck. but they weren't panting or anything, and other than the few squashees, they seem healthy and happy.

9. chickensducks&agoose

broody mama tried to eat the babies. I snuck them under her in the dark, and then came back about 4 minutes later to check on her, and she was literally trying to eat one... holding it in her mouth by it's butt, then dropping it, then pecking it, then biting it up in the air... so i took all of them away, and gave her quite a scolding.. she's kind of insane, but her twin is actually being a good mama to her 2 week olds.

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Maybe they smelled "dead" from their encounter of the squished kind.

chickensducks&agoose :

broody mama tried to eat the babies. I snuck them under her in the dark, and then came back about 4 minutes later to check on her, and she was literally trying to eat one... holding it in her mouth by it's butt, then dropping it, then pecking it, then biting it up in the air... so i took all of them away, and gave her quite a scolding.. she's kind of insane, but her twin is actually being a good mama to her 2 week olds.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by