Cannibal hen

myfourchicks

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2016
I. Posted about a week ago that one hen had been pulling feathers out if my other 3 girls and pecking them bloody. I separated them for about a week and tried to put her back in the run today. My big red jumped on her and they fought so i thought maybe that was it big red won and she would be back in the pecking order. But with in 2 min tops she went after the other two pulling out feathers and pecking. I removed her and she is back in isolation. I have tried vics but she wont stop. Not sure what to do with her at this point. Any help would be appretiated!

Some birds just aren't meant to be part of a particular flock. I'd sell her, with disclosure about her past. Chances are, going into a new flock, she'll get knocked down a peg or two and it won't be an issue.

When birds start up bad habits like picking at other birds or egg eating it's usually an issue that doesn't resolve.

How big is your coop, L x W x H? How big is your run? Often, issues of this nature are started b/c the birds are crowded. I'm not saying that's the case with your bird, but it can be a factor. This is why I spend so much time advocating for a minimum of 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. Plenty of folks say that birds can get by with less space, and if the flock AND coop are big, those dimensions can have a bit of lee way. But, with the small flock, and any coop less than 8 x 8, I will continue to say that sooner or later, crowding will result in problems. Once this behavior is started, culling the problem bird from the flock is often the best and only solution. Then, look very carefully at your set up before moving forward.

I have 4 hens the coop is 24 sqr feet and the run is 60 sqr feet with additional free range area. I do have a friend who is willing to see how the hen will do in her flock. She has a roo i wonder if that will make a difference. Thank you for the information and i will check out the links.

One more question...one of my hens that was injured has what appears to be an abscess behind her leg where she was pecked. I have been watching it and it looks like it is getting smaller but its still about the size of a nickel. Should i lance this or keep watching it?

One more question...one of my hens that was injured has what appears to be an abscess behind her leg where she was pecked. I have been watching it and it looks like it is getting smaller but its still about the size of a nickel. Should i lance this or keep watching it?

What are you waiting for? Treat it. If your dog or cat or child had an abscess, wouldn't you treat it? Infections, if ignored, can go systemic and kill.

Once treated, paint with Blu-kote so the wound doesn't invite further picking. Or better, use triple antibiotic ointment and bandage. See the new thread on putting together a first aid kit for chickens on the Emergencies forum.

Back
Top Bottom