Cannibal pecking? <GRAPHIC PICs>

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cuttlefishherder, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    Just want to make sure its cannibalism, because what is sounds like is that they pick feathers first, but these girls just have bloody gaping holes on either side of their vents, we patched 2 up and we just found the hole on this girl. Then we had a flock wide check and some other hens have smaller holes that are close to being completely healed. But we noticed late because there is no feather loss viable till they ruffle them selfs and there is a big ugly hole there. Our poor lady's, one really isn't feeling well, so we are keeping a close eye on her in particular right now...

The holes are dusty because they got to dust bathe before we got a hold of them for pictures D: hope that doesn't start any thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I believe I'd clean that out real good with saline or soak her in salty warm water then put neosporin on it. poor baby you know that has to hurt, do your chickens free range?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I would, too, but he didn't ask how to treat it, only whether it was cannibalism. And he is in the best position to tell us that, as the chickens are right there to be observe their behavior.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry ddawn I saw that but got over taken by the site of what I saw that I forgot.

5. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    hen saddles? I heard about petrolium jelly a long time ago

6. Cuttlefishherder

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    Saline solution is what we tried, looks a lot better, but more nasty at the same time, we have them back on a full day of free ranging, poor girl has a limp still but in the yard shes less picked on.
    Gosh I love our birds but geeze D:

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If its not cannibalism, you might consider rats. Rats have been known to eat birds starting at the vent becuase of the fewer feathers

8. Cuttlefishherder

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    But wouldn't they make a huge fuss? Our birds still freak out about the local wood peckers and had quite the night one night when one of the cats fell through the shade screening that covers half the coop roof lol. Poor kitty had a limp the next day.(he got beat up pretty bad by panicking chicken wings)

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    check birds for lice and then give them some extra protien and entertainment... Cannabalism is a boredom mixed with stress and low protien levels... Give some suet cakes and some seeds (BOSS) and some entertainment... cabbage ball for a game of jump etc.... Pumpkin or some new straw and mealworms... Something to break up the boredom and keep that birds backside away from the rest of the group... are you sure there is no maggots???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by