Cannibalism. Attacked babies.... Need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenWisperer, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    So, for the how many-ith time.....

I've fallen victim to cannibalism/picking. Due to the horrible, muddy, rainy conditions, they were bored and picked tail feathers, flesh from the tail heads. The birds have been given a flock-block for entertainment. The baby coop is horribly small.... and that has alot to do with it.

How long do you guys think I should keep them in? I've got blue kote on it, but they still peck at it every now and then. Avery, the Orloff, has NO tailfeathers left. Meka, the dorking, has tailfeathers left but the area is VERY tender.

I also plan to integrate them with other hens - there are 9 hens, and 7 others their age.... they will be allowed to freerange every day. They have freeranges together, several times, with little to no confrontations.

Do you guys have any suggestions for things to make their butts very distasteful for other chooks?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I read that iodine was suppose to help with that problem the kind for livestock. How old are they? when you put them together for good put the young ones in after dark. It's suppose to help when first intergrating.

3. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Thanks. I always do, if they are babies. I let them freerange together for a few times, but sleep in different houses. Then, one day the same thing happens, but when the babies are on roost I put them in the big bird house.

I've never heard of the iodine but i'll see if I can find anything on it.

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    How about long-length chicken saddles to cover the areas?

5. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    they'reHISchickens :

How about long-length chicken saddles to cover the areas?

Thanks!! I never thought of that.

So, what does anyone think - should I keep them in, or let them integrate with the other babies since they are acting normal and have blue kote on? I'm warry to chance it.... these two are my favorite babies.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by