cannibalism

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LVVCHAP, Feb 28, 2009.

1. LVVCHAP

LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    Last November I had a problem with my chickens pecking at one another. To the point of death. I thought then that I had too many for the space available, so I butchered a few. Everything was fine until last week. My wife went out to collect eggs and found blood, an hour later one was dead and two more had deep wounds around the vent. I butchered one of them and kept the other seperate. Last night I put her back with flock with no success and now they started to pick at another. Is this going to be a downward spiral? Any suggestions of what to do to stop this? When this happened in November I bought a block with corn, molasses and some minerals and they finished it a few weeks ago. I am feeding layer mash from a local feed mill with 17% protein.

Thanks for any input you might have.

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    sadly, once they see blood they never stop.
    best idea would be to remove the ones doing the picking,
    i had to restart my flock because of this, starting with all new chicjens
    hvent had a problem since

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    People talk about using Black Salve to stop pecking and cannibalism. It also helps to heal wounds, as I understand it. I've never had this problem so bad that it became a real problem.

Lights on in the coop - could you go real low light?

I'd also be feeding them a real high-protein supplement. I've fed rinsed tuna fish for egg eating.

It can't be much fun but it was fun reading this the other day: Fun cure for PECKING Those things might work too. Randall Burkey has them.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I just hate that they can be so nasty! We started out by pulling the injured hens out of the coop and keeping them in a dog cage at night. We now have 4 living outside the coop. Don't know why but I wish they'd play nice!

5. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    I also lost a hen to cannabalism this winter. Up the protein, give them things to do, like whole cabbages, carrots, etc to peck at, spread bird seed all over so they have to search and peck and scratch to get it.

I gave black oil sunflower seeds, leftover meat scraps(boy, do they love chicken, turkey, pork, steak!!), scrambled my extra eggs, yogurt, unsalted peanuts, and dry oatmeal.

It's not black salve, I think you mean pine tar, which is black, goopy, and strong-smelling, and the birds hate the taste. I went out while they were roosted, and painted every bare skin bit I could find (well, not combs and wattles, but you know what I mean!).

I haven't had trouble until just today; two of the hens were chasing one of the roos around and he has a bloody hole next to his tail. I took my other half out with me, he held the roo while I did the pine tar thing, and the hens were leaving him alone. I'll do a more thorough job tonight after they're on the roost.

Good luck!

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
  8. LVVCHAP

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    Just ordered some Peck No More - thanks for the help

9. LVVCHAP

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    The Peck No More arrived today. I put some and put her back in the coop. A few pecked at her one time and backed away. I think it is working. Now I wish that I would have had this a couple months ago. I lost about 8 now to cannibalism. Might have to get a few more, maybe this will be a good time to get some different breeds, I have all RIR's now.

Thanks again for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by