cannibalism?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nick77, Dec 3, 2009.

1. nick77

nick77 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    I have four eight week old Pumpkin hulsey's. I'm having a heck of a time getting tails on them. They seem to pick at each other just as the new pin feathers on their tails start to sprout, leaving a bloody "stump". I'm assuming this is what is referred to as cannibalism. They're not over crowded, is there anything I can get to discourage this behavior?

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone who is bleeding MUST be removed. They'll go for the blood and literally eat that bird alive. I had one cockerel start to do that in a pen with 11 other birds. He had to be removed. Maybe try giving them some raw Hamburger.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  3. chickenchaser99

chickenchaser99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    would a saddle work [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    When I had that problem they were still in the brooder and I used a red light. That helped...but with THAT said, I have a hen who is seven months now, with a hole the size of my fist eaten into her back side. Keep an eye out for who is doing the evil deed. I don't think they out grow being the bully. Because the one that did it when they were six weeks old is the same one doing it now.
    Do a search for feather picking, and you should find some good advice there.
    I hope this works out well for you.

5. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I talked to one of the breeders who I bought my birds from, she said I should cull the birds that continue to do this. And others will see that and think it is okay, and they'll do it. I suggest you split them up for a while. Here I have sevral different ages. The culperate I caught, got sent to the next older groups pen. He thoroughly got his widdle butt kicked. He stayed in there for about a week. Then I sent him to a cage for about a month. He does not pull out tail feathers anymore.

6. nick77

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    Of the four birds, one has managed to grow a perfect tail, it's a cockerel. Is it safe to assume this is the culprit? Also, are males more likely to do it than hens?

7. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I witnessed mine doing it before I jumped to assumptions. I would guess he would be a possibilty. might be cheaper to buy some cheap hamburger and give them some each day. Sometimes an increase in protein helps them get out of that mode.

8. nick77

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    I'll try the burger. Thanks

9. slwildchild

slwildchild New Egg

Apr 23, 2012
    do you cook the hamburger or give it to them raw?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by