cannibalism

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bothur, May 10, 2011.

1. bothur

bothur New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Boyertown Pa
    Hi All,
    I am a new chick owner and having some trouble with my birds pecking one another. I have six Bantam (not sure which type) and six Cornish. The Cornish were separated as they were getting pecked to the point of blood loss. Then the Bantams started to peck each other?? I put them outside in a cage that allows foraging and they seem content, once they come back in they start to peck again. I now have 5 bantams in the outside coop and so far they seem o.k., one bantam is in with the Cornish all seems stable. They are approximately three weeks old, I purchased them April 21, and they have filled out quite a bit. Still have yellow feathers on their head but white feathers throughout their bodies. Perhaps I should adjust the food? Still offering starter/grower 20%, worms every other day and chick grit every third day. Any suggestions for how to stop the pecking would be great.
    Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

How much space do they have in their brooder? The more crowded they are the more likely they are to pick on each other.

3. bothur

bothur New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Boyertown Pa
    I guess it is about 6feet by 10feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by