Cannibalistic Australorp hens

ZoomuKeeper

Songster
Jul 25, 2018
Near Live Oak Florida
My Australope hens are breaking open and eating their eggs. They have plenty of feed and they get a bowl of fresh greens daily to go with the grass they also eat. My Buff Orpington does not do this,.,Nor does the rooster. They are all housed together. The 4 live in an 8ft by 10 ft hen house and have a 30 x 40 foot fenced yard I am stumped. I have to really watch so I can get fertile eggs as soon as they all lay them. I never had this issue before. Anyone else have this issue?

Have you been able to examine shells from eaten eggs?
Are the good and thick/hard or thin and thus easily broken?

What kind of feed.... brand model, protein and calcium percentages.
What kind of greens...and how much?

Yes, the fake eggs might help....or you could go to a roll-away nest.

Have you been able to examine shells from eaten eggs?
Are the good and thick/hard or thin and thus easily broken?

What kind of feed.... brand model, protein and calcium percentages.
What kind of greens...and how much?

Yes, the fake eggs might help....or you could go to a roll-away nest.
Their eggs are strong thick and large. I feed them a feed with 16 percent protein and I also give them fresh greens in a bowl each day plus the grass they eat and I treat with live crickets on occasions. Love watching them chase those bad boys. They also have their own compost pile to scratch in which they do most of the day. It is only one hen that loves the eggs. I am retired so I live for my animals now. I do not eat eggs or meat or dairy. I am vegan. They are my children

Like others, the only time I have had problems with egg eating it was because one hen was laying eggs with weak shells and it was getting accidentally broken. All the other eggs in the nest were intact but soiled with broken egg. I assume all the eggs are being broken and eaten, not just the odd one. Have you considered something other than your hens is responsible. I have had problems with both jackdaws, crows and rats in the past breaking and eating eggs. We are coming to the time of year that creatures are raising young and demand for food to feed them makes them bolder and cheekier than they would normally be.
It is also important not to put human morals onto animals and I think suggesting they are cannibalistic for eating their eggs is a misuse of the term anyway. It may be that they need the extra protein themselves. Essential amino acids from animal proteins are important nutrients for omnivores and breeding time creates more of a need for the hens as well as the scavengers I have suggested may be responsible.
Even if you have seen them eating their eggs, it may be one of the scavengers I have mentioned breaking them open and then the hens are cleaning up.

I have an egg eater right now. Once I know for sure who it is I am culling her.

Gary
I had the same problem with my EE what i did was grab a egg shell get the insides out and fill it ( with a syringe) with mustard and put the egg where you have found the eaten eggs. After i did that my EE hasn't eaten an egg.
IMG_3019.jpg Here was my egg eater.

Please note... eating eggs is not the same as cannibalism. That would be eating another hen. :hmm

Rats! :mad:

Watch for the hen who is hanging around waiting for the eggs. Looks for dried yolk on their face or head. Maybe hang curtains to block direct viewing of the nest. Also collecting eggs many times a day during this time, until the behavior has been corrected.

I too would cull an egg eater if needed.. first attempt for me would be re-homing with disclosure. If no takers, she would head for freezer camp IF other behavior modification techniques didn't work. With the OP disclosure of vegan.. that obviously won't be a good option for them.

It is important to get the behavior corrected though.. as consistent long term egg eating will surely lead to health issues including fatty liver and maybe even gout or kidney failure... yes they are loaded with nutrients but by calorie count they are 34% protein and 64% fat.

The roll away boxes might be an great idea for this situation! :fl

I would never hurt an animal. They do what comes natural. You cannot reason with an animal but you can divert their attention elsewhere. I just have to be 2 steps ahead of her. I am building her her very own home. She will still be able to see her sisters but she will not be able to get to the eggs. If she wants to eat her own eggs I say go for it they will not be fertile and I don't eat eggs. Once I get the roll away box set up she can move back in. She is a sweet bird she just likes eggs I guess.

Like others, the only time I have had problems with egg eating it was because one hen was laying eggs with weak shells and it was getting accidentally broken. All the other eggs in the nest were intact but soiled with broken egg. I assume all the eggs are being broken and eaten, not just the odd one. Have you considered something other than your hens is responsible. I have had problems with both jackdaws, crows and rats in the past breaking and eating eggs. We are coming to the time of year that creatures are raising young and demand for food to feed them makes them bolder and cheekier than they would normally be.
It is also important not to put human morals onto animals and I think suggesting they are cannibalistic for eating their eggs is a misuse of the term anyway. It may be that they need the extra protein themselves. Essential amino acids from animal proteins are important nutrients for omnivores and breeding time creates more of a need for the hens as well as the scavengers I have suggested may be responsible.
Even if you have seen them eating their eggs, it may be one of the scavengers I have mentioned breaking them open and then the hens are cleaning up.
I caught her doing it so Yes it was my one australorp. I found a solution for it. I love my animals so slaughter is not an option. Chickens as well as all birds love eggs. I feed them ( cooked of course ) to my parrots and dogs. I loved eggs also but for health reasons I cannot have those foods any longer. This is why I am now vegan

Back
Top Bottom