Cannibalizing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Techtronic, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Techtronic

Techtronic Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    I'm having some trouble with cannibalism in my Grazers. I make sure they always have enough food and water and they have ample coop and run space but they are still killing and eating each other what seems like once or twice a week. I think I'm down to 65 birds from 70 at last count and they are in a separate run from my layers. I also have part of the coop separated and another run for the injured chickens to live in. I'm not sure what to do and at this rate i won't have any to butcher and sell by the time they are big enough.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Just exactly how much space do you have them in? Feet by feet?

3. Techtronic

Techtronic Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    roughly 16"x12" for the coop with 10"x12" for the well and another 6"x12" section for the injured and the run is about 30"x50" (I'm planning on halving that when i can get the materials for the barriers)

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    This could be your problem. That's not a lot of room for them. Recommended minimum space is 4 sq. feet per bird, coop space, and 10 sq. feet run space. Overcrowding does cause a lot of bad habits.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What are Grazers...some kind of meat bird?
    How old are they?
    Are you sure you don't have a predator killing birds ad they birds are just 'cleaning up'?

I assume you mean 16 feet x 12 feet...and not inches?
    What is .....the well?

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I think the OP means the chickens that aren't sick or injured when he/she speaks of "the well".

I agree with the post above that mentions that the coop area is too small for that many chickens. @ 4' per LF chicken that area is recommended for 48 LF birds...OP states having at least 70 at one point in time. Run space seems good, but coop space might be contributing to the cannibalism.

Ed

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agreed, lack of space is the main issue. But, a follow up ? is what are they getting for feed? Specifically protein? I'd suggest, just for grins and giggles that the OP increase the protein, and offer them some electrolyte solution IN ADDITION to the plain water. They could be responding to some nutritional deficiencies. Wouldn't hurt to give them some Poultry Nutri-Drench also.

10. Techtronic

Techtronic Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    Yes i did mean feet instead of inches, sorry, got the symbol mixed up. "The well" is indeed the ones who aren't sick or injured. Also, I do have roosts in there for the grazers that they use every night, none of them are sleeping on the ground, one or two even sleep in the rafters and a few sleep on the feeder even though the bottom roost is left empty.

Yes, Grazers are a meat bird, i can't remember what the full breed name is but my profile pic is a pic i took a few months ago of them. They would be about 5 months old by now. No, there aren't any predators, at least not ones that can get in, it's a 7' fence and there aren't any holes along the fence.

They are getting plain water and crushed wheat right now with whatever fruit, vegetable, or bread scraps or expired items when we have them. I could try to find some of this nutri-drench stuff, do i put it in a separate waterer? What would you suggest for protein supplements?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by