1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cannibals

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamahart, Feb 28, 2017.

1. mamahart

mamahart Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Bought 6 birds and one is being pecked to death. Not sure if really a Rhode island like we were told, just want to help him get better. Seperate him maybe, but for how long? [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

It looks like he's just molting, and the girls are picking at his feathers. What are you feeding them? They need 20% protein feed (chick started/grower) up until they are 16 weeks. Extra protein will help him get his feathers in faster. If you notice any blood whatsoever, pull him out immediatly. Blood triggers the cannibal side in chickens, and once they taste it, his chance of actually getting pecked to death go up to 100% in a blink. As of right now though, it looks like he's just having a rough time growing in new feathers.
    Yes, he is a RIR. Reminds me a bit of one of our Red roos we used to have, come to think of it.
    [​IMG]

3. mamahart

mamahart Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Great information, thank you so much!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I find that at that age they need more room and things to keep them busy or they will start pecking each other. Too much heat can be a problem too.

I would spray him with some bluekote. Putting them down while they are still a bit damp from it can give the pickers a mouthful of yuk, which helps to cure them of it. If it continues I would separate him out.

For some reason red colored birds seem to be more aggressive than other colored breeds from my reading posts on this website.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like a normal chick growing in feathers. I can't see any injuries. You may need a bigger space for them, though.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like he is getting picked on to me, though chicks can go through a natural gawky/poorly feathered stage. I would give your chicks more room and watch them for a while to see if he is actually being picked on, or just losing feathers because of another reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by