Cannible chicks HELP QUICK.. they are being eaten alive

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gchick, Apr 27, 2009.

1. gchick

gchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    I have a small group of chick that arrived March 25. The started out with a little pecking and it has progressed into full blown cannibalism. Nothing let but wings and feet.

I am desperate. The hatchery told me that I should kill them that it won't stop.

I just hate to do that.. I don't know if I can actually.

I have seperated them in to group and removed the ones with any pecking and but them in "the hospital" Bloody little chick aweful..but they quit pecking/killing

The others started out with no wounds and then it started... vent pecking and within a few days... all out cannibalism.

They have starter/grower
    hay to play with... plenty of space, water and grit.

What is in antipeck.. i can't find it locally..

Someone suggested hot sauce and an old farmer told me to rub red tractor grease on them .

They are sex link, buff orpington, salmon flav, barred rocks

I have never seen or heard of this...

I have observed them and don't even see them pecking at each other

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I have never had this problem. Do they have plenty of space? I have read on other posts that once it starts, it is very hard to get stopped. Lots of space and things to hid under, behind, etc.

3. gchick

Apr 27, 2009
    Yes... I think they have plenty of space and 12X12 and 25 or so chicks left

What in Anti peck?

4. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I have been told to use pine tar. Also, for chicks, I used vaseline once and that seemed to stop them but they hadn't gotten as far as what it sounds like yours have.

5. gchick

Apr 27, 2009
    I have had chicks for year and I can't tell you how much I LUV them. I have raised lots of them with little loss. I need help in trying something... i can't think of killing these normal healthy looking chicks that are go syco and become killers

6. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    So where do you put this stuff, on their beaks? or on the other chicks? so they dont peck them to death?

7. gchick

Apr 27, 2009
    They are telling me me that they will continue and that if I let them with grown chick they will find the week one.. lower on the pecking order and start killing.

8. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    They are all the same age right?

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    chickens will peck and devour anything they can. usually something dead or with blood on it. some people put red lights in the brooders to help with this. my papers that came with my first chicks years ago, said to throw fresh picked grass in with the chicks if they start picking. usually starts with boredom, or one that is sick or bleeding or poopy butt and they start picking at the dried poopy and pull out feathers starting the blood.
    I would try the red light, and keep them separated until there is no blood.
    and the grass does help.
    something about the fresh greens.
    in the winter time I buy lettuce shreds and throw that in at room temp.

10. gchick

Apr 27, 2009
    Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by