Canning and beekeeping....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Lesa, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Just wanted to share this info. I have been interested in canning for awhile-but just didn't feel comfortable doing it (no matter how much I read on the subject...) Turns out our local Boces offers a canning course a few times a year for 20.00. Let me tell you that was the best 20 bucks I ever spent. Hands on, beats reading every time for me. Now I can't wait for berry season!! I am also keenly interested in beekeeping. Turns out our cornell cooperative extension is having a free 5 week class on beginning beekeeping!! These places are really great!

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Now why can't we get something like that here [​IMG]

Congratulations [​IMG]

3. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    We do a modest amount of canning every year but hope to do more now that we are retired. I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on your bee keeping hopes but it is difficult to say the least. We tried it for three years after taking a U of M extension class. First there is all the equipement needed. It won't break you but it will make you stop and think, especially the extractor. Next is the learning curve, it is steep. Next and formost are all the diseases. That is the part that took all the fun out of it for me. You have to have many kinds of medicine all applied at the right moment. Now there is a mystery disease that is killing ALL the bees everywhere and no cure or treatment yet. I'm sure some beekeepers will jump all over me for this but this has been my experience. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I am sorry that beekeeping didn't go well for you. The neat thing about this class is that they assign you a mentor, as well. I don't think I would attempt it without a little help! The fellow I have been talking to only has 2 hives and he does not do any medicating, etc. I will see how it goes....

5. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Quote:The mentoring part will make it easier for sure. Lots of luck going without medication. Our bees did just fine at first then slowly died off from the new disease. All things considered I really did not like the idea of all that medicine and chemicals applied to something I hope to eat.

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Have you read Ball's blue book? The best thing I have found to start canning is fruit jams. It's more fun if you have a friend to can with you. Don't be nervous about canning, go get the blue book and some fruit, sugar and jars and just go for it. You'll love it.

Sure, a class would be fun, but really it's very easy to learn through a book. Plus, you don't have to wait. Instant gratification is the best [​IMG] [​IMG]

Feel free to ask questions, I'm by no means an expert but I do quite a bit of canning in the summer and have for a few years now. There are lots of experienced canners on here.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh, I scored yesterday (sorta) at the Goodwill. They had canning jars for $1 each.

Totally overpriced! I picked up jars and complained to my friends for a good long rant.

As we were getting ready to leave the store, I told a cashier their jars were way overpriced: were higher than retail for just a jar when a dozen jars/lids/rings were $8-9. They asked if I wanted to buy them. I said, "yes".

Then they offered them to me for 69 cents each. AS IF. Pshaw. NO WAY.

I told them that the goodwill in my town charged .25/jar. So that's what I paid.

After I assembled them I realized that my nearest Goodwill actually charges .25/quart and .15/pint & smaller, but the jars have gotten so hard to find these days that I figured it was worthwhile.

In 5 thrift stores yesterday I only found those 14 jars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by