canning bonanza :)

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
A sweet older lady gave me all her canning jars today -- she's moved into assisted living and won't be canning anymore. And some of them even have last year's produce in them, so it's an extra gift!

WOW! what a generous thing to do, I'm touched by her thoughtfulness, and really giddy about getting them home and washing them up
ya.gif
I have to go back later today or tomorrow and get the last of them, but we ran out of boxes. We brought 3 large boxes (two layers of jars) and a half dozen small boxes out. She even had some rings and seals. Some really cool old seals too, but she said just to use those after we've opened jars and are storing them in the fridge - not for processing.

Just wanted to share with other canning gals who would appreciate the amazing gift!

b.hromada ~ just go to the library and check out some books about canning and preserving. Then jump right in! I only started canning and making jelly last year, and I'm totally hooked ;0)

I know how you feel! My FIL gave me 6 boxes of caning jars last year! It was awesome, some were even blue. My Mom got me all the things I need to use for canning for Christmas (so I didn't have to keep borrowing hers). My garden better do well this year!
If anyone else is looking for jars, try yard sales and flea markets, just make sure they aren't chipped... I did have one "explode" in the canner last year. No injuries, tho!

I love canning!! You are right, what a TERRIFIC gift! I bet you felt like a kid on Christmas morning!! Congratulations, it is getting close to time now, that you can start to fill them up!!

Quote:
I know! I can't wait! But this week is chilly here in Pa, like 63 degrees now and it's only suppost to get up to 72 today(with an inch of rain possible!). But, that makes for easy, sweat-free work of weeding the garden. The raspberries and blackberries have quit blooming and have started to grow. I'm watching them anxiously!

Quote:
I listed on Craigslist that I wanted to BUY some. And someone came along and offered me new ones for nothing because they never used them. Go ahead and put up a listing like that! Who knows what you will find.
big_smile.png

I have only canned a few jams but I am excited for you. What a nice gesture. See there are nice people left in the world.

Back
Top Bottom