Canning Chicken in Half Gallon Jars

Sparklee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Has anyone canned raw chickens, bones included, in half gallon jars?

There's no data on it from the USDA and/or Extension Service. But that doesn't mean it is happening out here in the real world.

Any experiences with half gallon jars? Of course, though, I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to canning for fear of botulism, etc., so you're going to have to be awful convincing.

Thanks.

It is not recommended to can anything in jars bigger than quarts, 1/2 gallon and gallon jars should only be used to store dry goods, or hold stuff in the fridge, like fridge pickles.
That is what I was always told.

We used to when I was growing up. I remember boiling the chicken in the jars for a very long time. 5-6 hrs! And we ate them that were several years old.My momwas very aggressive about heating them for a while after taking out of a jar. Hope this helps.

i would not do this. i'd be worried about the temperature in the center of the container. just not worth the risk imo

Thanks for replies, folks.

Yeah, I'm going to just use my quart jars for the chickens. And, yes, it will be pressure canning that I do.

I have apples for juice, but they're not acidic. So I guess I'll have to figure out some other way to use these jars.

How come the shops sell stuff, like olives, in such big jars. You'd think I could pressure can something in them. Guess I'll call the extension service and see if they can tell me if there's anything I can home can in them. Sure I can store stuff in them, but it seems like such a waste of good canning jars. Besides, why does Kerr/Ball make 1/2 gallon canning jars? Not only for acidic juices, surely.

Back
Top Bottom