1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

canning chicken questions

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Feb 5, 2011.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm not ready to do it yet but thinking about what's coming up and have some prelim quesitons.
    first how many jars does a chicken fill . . . say a 4 lb carcass weight . . . I'm guessing 2 quarts? is that even close? I don't want a lot of juice in the jar just meat for chicken salad sandwiches & burrittos mostly. Would love a whole bunch of input, advice & canning recipes.
    THANKS! [​IMG]

2. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I have not canned any yet but I would like to learn how.I have a older book that has alot of details and a few pictures of how to do it.I have a pressure cooker,jars and chickens....oh,I wonder if I can do turkey?I looked in the book for amounts and it says 4-5 lbs de-boned chicken per quart.From what I read this is a raw and hot packing method and then pressure cooked for what ever method you use.
    I hope someone who has canned some meat will help out with some tips.[​IMG]

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    excellent! that's more info than I had to start with, thanks [​IMG]

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    no one else . . . recipes . . . advice . . . experiences . . . [​IMG]

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Here are a couple links to get your started with recommended processing times, etc on the NCHFP website. (The same instructions are in the Ball Blue Book.)

For chicken (meat):
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html

For stock:
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/stock_broth.html

I personally prefer to debone the meat and can it in large chunks. No stock added. If you pack the meat tightly in the jars, it'll make a very small amount of stock as it cooks during the canning process, but not a lot.

I always brown the bones and some veggies (carrot, celery, onion) in a roaster, then cover with water to make stock. I remove the veggies, clean any meat remaining on the bones, then can the stock. I like to can some jars of stock with meat, and some without.

ETA: I'll see if I can get a picture of some finished jars for you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    lil'turkeymama :

...oh,I wonder if I can do turkey?I looked in the book for amounts and it says 4-5 lbs de-boned chicken per quart.From what I read this is a raw and hot packing method and then pressure cooked for what ever method you use.
    I hope someone who has canned some meat will help out with some tips.[​IMG]

Turkey is processed the same as chicken.

Also, to be sure we're on the same page, you need a pressure canner. A pressure canner and a pressure cooker are different things....although a canner can be used as a cooker. But not the other way around....a pressure cooker is not suitable for canning.​

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I did not now that! thanks, glad I am asking ahead of the game.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by