Canning chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ozark_chickies, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Do any of you can chicken meat and stock? If so how long does it keep, and does it tenderize the meat? We processed some non-meat birds, and since they were going to the stew pot, I decieded to can them instead of freezing. DH had never known of anyone canning chicken, and asked how safe it was do so. I processsed them for 90 minutes, 10 pounds pressure in quart jars. I'm sure it is safe to eat, just wondering what the finished product is like.

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I can stock. It comes out wonderful! Much better than store bought. I just use the directions from the Ball Complete book or the NCHFP website.
    I think your chicken will be tender, tasty and safe to eat. Great for recipes like enchiladas and chicken salad.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Both.

I'll have to check my canning book when I get home. If you have an old Ball canning book that should tell you, I don't think the newer versions have a meat canning section in them.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Do a search for "Canning Chicken" in the meat bird topic.
    There was a really good discussion just a little while ago about it that was started by Mac_In_WI (I think that was who it was).

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Both.

I'll have to check my canning book when I get home. If you have an old Ball canning book that should tell you, I don't think the newer versions have a meat canning section in them.

The new Ball Complete and NCHFP.com website both have instructions for canning.

6. MoriahQuilts

MoriahQuilts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    The USDA has a canning book online. I pressure-canned boneless skinless chicken last fall when it was on sale for less than $1 lb. Just put 1/2 teaspoon salt and stuff chicken quarter into a pint jar. No need to cut, trim or add anything. It is great for soup, chicken enchiladas, and chicken pecan salad, which we eat regularly. Must use it within one year though. Guide has great info and it up-to-date, with tested recipes. My first experience w pressure canner. Love that mom gave me her old heavy one.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/usda/GUIDE 1 Home Can.pdf

7. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    wyoDreamer
    Yesterday 2:06 pmDo a search for "Canning Chicken" in the meat bird topic.
    There was a really good discussion just a little while ago about it that was started by Mac_In_WI (I think that was who it was).

I found the thread you were thinking of, and it answered my questions. The best way to find out for sure, will be opening a jar and trying it for myself, but I have chicken in the freezer I need to use first.​

8. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I used to do all the dark meat that way...canned everything from rooster to emu. I canned SO MUCH that I was afraid to eat any of it after a few years.

I will be taking it up again soon, as soon as we can get the house organized. I miss caning and juicing.

I don't like dark meat and I think canning (or maybe it was in my head) made it more palatable. I would use it in stews, soups or chicken pot pie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by