Canning Deer Meat

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigredfeather, Dec 3, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have some deer meat that I would like to can. I have done quite a bit of canning, but never deer meat. It has been suggested to me to pack raw meat in sterile jars, which I think is right. I was also told it was necessary to put some type of fat (beef or Crisco) on top of the meat before processing. Does this sound right?

If anyone knows of a different method, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.

2. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I have processed deer before..quite often..I don't add any fat..I do mine raw with a little water, salt, onion wedge, celery stalk. I have a friend that puts this plus 1 tbs. brown sugar to ea. qt..not sure why..never tried this. I would think that the crisco/etc may be to keep fresh and there is little fat in deer..is it ground? I usually do chunk meat..for stews. I use mine up fast so mine always seems fresh.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:No it isn't ground. Right now the meat is still in roast/steak form. I was told to chunk it into about 1"x1" cubes before jaring. The whole Crisco/Talc thing sounded a little strange.

Do you process at 10 pounds for 80-90 minutes?

Thanks.

4. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Yes..I remember years ago, my mother would put what I thought was lard on the top of her canned meat..but..that seems to me like it might get rancid..??? Lets see what others on here say..I am no expert!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    I Think Opa is the guy to ask on this question .I think he has a recipe on the "what are you canning now?" thread.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I can all of ours.

1 in cubes packed as tight as you can press them. Drop a beef boullion cube in the top and a 1/2 tsp salt.
    No liquid.

Process 10 lbs 90 minutes.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have never canned meat but when I was younger we cut a lot of meat up (Amish country) to get it ready for the guy that had a cannery in the area. My father was the local butcher.

We did three things we ground it no seasoning, we cut it into chunks for stew, and we made a seasoned ground product. WE never added fat but we did beef and it had its own fat that would render and come to the top. There will also be some gelatin that comes out and comes to the top. I would not consider adding crisco to the mix. Why mix a hydrogenated fat to such a healthy product. If you want a bit of fat in the mix you could certainly add a bit.

There is nothing about adding fat to it that makes it last longer. Canned meat would last years if canned properly. Certainly from year to year. Back at that time virtually none of the Amish in our community had freezers so canned meat was the preservation. It can tast pretty good if you use quality meat.

I would think deer meat would be very good when used for stew. It would be just the same as pressure cooking product.

Hope I have helpled

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:I do exactly that, but without the boullion cube. Great for quick meals, and soups, stews, meatpies, etc.

9. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I do mine 4 different ways, I add no water. I process in quarts 90 min.10 lb pressure. in pints 75 min.

1. Raw pack the jars with meat cubes ,add 1 tsp. seasoning salt, cap and process.

2. Raw pack the jars,1 beef boiluon cube.,1/2 tsp season salt, cap and process.

3. In the bottom of each jar add 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup, raw pack the jar with meat cubes and cap and process.

4. Then I also raw pack the jars and add 1 tblsp. of onion soup mix to the jar.and process.

I do beef and pork the same way.

10. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    I slice a whole onion into rounds. Put one whole round in the bottom of the qt. jar, pack raw cubes, process acording to directions for raw pack. very tastey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by