Canning dried beans (pressure cooker)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by kittymuffy, Nov 14, 2010.

1. kittymuffy

kittymuffy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Has anyone tried this? I canned black beans using a recipe found on the web. Pressured for 70 minutes, beans were soft and could not get the bottom half out of the jar, not enough liquid. I have been canning pint jars of baked beans since 1976 and would like to have my own kidney, black beans, etc on hand. They are so much better and less expensive. Thanks! LS

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
  3. kittymuffy

kittymuffy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Thanks much! We are about 20 miles south of lake superior and there is 8-10 inches of heavy wet snow out there, the evergreen trees look like they have been mummy wrapped, what about your area in MI?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I use my pressure cooker to hydrate dried beans. If I cooked them for 70 minutes they would be mush. Perhaps you are overcooking them in the jars.

5. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
  6. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Yes, When I pressure canned beans, I found that it seemed like I needed to put fewer beans and more liquid in the jars.

I'd love to have your canned, baked bean recipe!!!

7. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:I canned black beans last year, too (used the Ball Canning recipe book). My experience was the same, almost a paste - still good, but not what I expected. Most went into burritos or soup, so the texture wasn't that big of a deal.

This years crop went straight into vacuum-sealed bags. We'll just need to plan a little and soak them in advance of using.

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    When I can dry beans I fill the jar 1/3 of the way with dry, rinsed beans.Then add salt and fill the jar to the neck with water. Then cap and process in Pressure canner.
    I have also soaked the beans overnight and then you can add more beans to the jar.
    I also can up any leftover soup beans.They seem to hold up pretty well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by