Canning dried beans (pressure cooker)

kittymuffy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Has anyone tried this? I canned black beans using a recipe found on the web. Pressured for 70 minutes, beans were soft and could not get the bottom half out of the jar, not enough liquid. I have been canning pint jars of baked beans since 1976 and would like to have my own kidney, black beans, etc on hand. They are so much better and less expensive. Thanks! LS

Last edited:
Thanks much! We are about 20 miles south of lake superior and there is 8-10 inches of heavy wet snow out there, the evergreen trees look like they have been mummy wrapped, what about your area in MI?

Last edited:
I use my pressure cooker to hydrate dried beans. If I cooked them for 70 minutes they would be mush. Perhaps you are overcooking them in the jars.

Quote:
Nooooo! Don't say the "S" word!!!!
hide.gif
We are getting rain right now.
If you haven't found it, here is the Michigan thread, we would be glad to see you there.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5131269#p5131269

Yes, When I pressure canned beans, I found that it seemed like I needed to put fewer beans and more liquid in the jars.

I'd love to have your canned, baked bean recipe!!!

Quote:
I canned black beans last year, too (used the Ball Canning recipe book). My experience was the same, almost a paste - still good, but not what I expected. Most went into burritos or soup, so the texture wasn't that big of a deal.

This years crop went straight into vacuum-sealed bags. We'll just need to plan a little and soak them in advance of using.

When I can dry beans I fill the jar 1/3 of the way with dry, rinsed beans.Then add salt and fill the jar to the neck with water. Then cap and process in Pressure canner.
I have also soaked the beans overnight and then you can add more beans to the jar.
I also can up any leftover soup beans.They seem to hold up pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom