Canning fever

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    Hello, I'm new to canning and I'm just begginning to harvest my backyard crops...I have been canning apples like mad because I found them really cheap the other day and I was wondering...does anybody know where to get the least expensive canning jars, mason or ball? I have been using pint sizes but could go bigger to quarts... i just seem to find them quite pricey... also...my husband (who used to can believe it or not) says that I have to be using a new lid each time I can...is that true, I didn't come across that in my canning book. Thanks guys, hope to hear from you on the jars!

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:You really need to visit us here....... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=78434 Big Lots has the cheapest price on Golden Harvest canning jars. YES!!!!! you do have to use new lids each time otherwise it will not seal and it'll spoil and if you consume it, it may make your family sick. Please read all instructions before starting any canning regime.

3. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    i bought my wife a pressure canner for valentines day. she hasnt had a chance to use it yet as our garden isnt ready. i would say big lots or freds for canning jars if u want new ones. or you can find alot of used ones at second hand stors such as good will or thrift stors. the lid needs to be replaced everytime but you can reuse the rings. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by