canning question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Niss, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    The "what are you canning" thread is a little intimidating, so let me be lazy.
    Do I really need a pressure canner???
    My mom says no everything can be waterbathed. by most so called experts are saying anything that's not really acidic needs the pressure.

Thanks!

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I've been canning for 25 years without one, never killed anybody yet! [​IMG]

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Same here with the water bath canner - I learned from my country neighbors when this city girl moved to the country.

[​IMG]

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    If you are going to can meat, soups, beans, etc you need a pressure canner. I wouldn't do those things without one- too much risk. Water bath canners can't get any hotter than 212 degrees. Pressure canners hit 240 which will safely kill bacteria...212 won't.

a great info page:
    http://pickyourown.org/pressurecanners.htm

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:X2 It's not the worth the risk to me and my family or anyone else who eats my canned goods to not use a pressure canner.

If all you're canning is fruits, pickles and tomatoes, then no, you don't need one....anything else like meats or green beans, etc needs a pressure canner.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've been driving for more than 25 years. I have not killed anybody yet. That could change tomorrow.

The so-called experts have studied the science behind canning, have experimented using many different tests, and understand why you do certain things. Are they over-cautious? Yes. Their goal is that nobody dies of botulism. You can believe them or you can believe somebody you don't know over the internet. Your choice.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My next door neighbor is an older dairy farm lady and she does the opposite! She uses a pressure canner for everything and chuckles at me with a water bath.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Same here with the water bath canner - I learned from my country neighbors when this city girl moved to the country.

[​IMG]

And this is why I will never , ever buy any canned goods at a farmer's maket. Not saying you sell at a market, but not knowing how it was canned is the kicker for me.

BTW....I've been country since the day I was born and not all all of us can without a pressure canner! [​IMG]

9. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    My family always used a water bath for green beans and tomatoes. Most other stuff was frozen or dried.

A pressure canner is a whole lot quicker and a presto is not that expensive. Might even be cheaper than a water bath over time from the power savings.

10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri

[​IMG]

And this is why I will never , ever buy any canned goods at a farmer's maket. Not saying you sell at a market, but not knowing how it was canned is the kicker for me.

BTW....I've been country since the day I was born and not all all of us can without a pressure canner! ;)

same here! I don't know of any of our family ever living in a city or town. I have my great-grandmothers pressure canner in my Antique display! Pressure canning is not a new-fangled thing - it has been around for years! and is proven safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by