Canning Question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Rick_R, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Rick_R

Rick_R New Egg

Jul 13, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have rarely used our pressure cooker and did so today to can some soup. Don't think the soup is going to work out well (didn't think it through) but, nevertheless, it did bring up a general canning question and I figured there were experience folks here who could help out.

Jars are in, processed for correct amount of time, cool down where you can open the lid, open the lid and inside the jars the liquid is still bubbling rapidly. An hour or two later, took the jars out (still warm to the touch), and they are still bubbling occasionally. The lid appears to have sucked in (depressed), but bubbles continue to rise to the top. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Rick

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, it is normal. The soup is very hot and can boil for a while.

3. Rick_R

Rick_R New Egg

Jul 13, 2008
    Mississippi
    Thanks Farmer Kitty.

Rick

4. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Normal boiling point is 212 but with a pressure canner it hits around 240 so it will bubble for awhile.

5. Rick_R

Rick_R New Egg

Jul 13, 2008
    Mississippi
    Quote:Yeah, but I figured if the jar was cool enough to touch it wouldn't still be boiling. Of course, just as the high pressure of the pressure cooker raises the boiling point, with the expulsion of air the pressure inside the jar is lowered, so the boiling point would be lowered as well; that didn't cross my mind earlier - maybe that's where the bubbling comes from. I'll have to think that one through.

Thanks for the reply!

Rick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by