Canning Turkey Soup

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DuckLady, Nov 30, 2007.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I made a pot of turkey soup and after one night we are DONE with turkey!

Do I need to add anything citric to it before I can it? And should it be heated to boiling before i pour it into jars? (It is much easier to handle cold)

If I put it in jars cold, how much extra time in the pressure canner should I let it go for. I know for hot it is 60 to 75 minutes at 10 pounds(I always do the longest time. I am a little paranoid about poisoning someone, even though in many years I never have).

2. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I would pack it hot. I know it's a pain, but I've never had a problem with hot-packed soup going bad, not even the low-acid stuff like splitpea and chowder. There was, however, one pumpkin soup incident, which I cold-packed and opened a month later, and, well, let's just say that I was really, really sorry the garbage truck only came once a week. It smelled HORRIBLE. Like gym socks that had been worn for five years straight without washing.

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    It smelled HORRIBLE. Like gym socks that had been worn for five years straight without washing.

[​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I'd be interested in hearing your recipe Terry. It must be good if your canning it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by