Canning Whole Strawberries?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jun 11, 2009.

1. I am going strawberry picking tomorrow to get my yearly allotment of berries for jams, pies, etc.
    I want to know if it's possible to can the berries whole? and if so in what and for how long?

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never canned them.....I always freeze them, then take out whatever amount I need. I'd think canning them would make them pretty mushy.

4. Thats kinda the point. I want them mushy [​IMG]

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with Katy, freezing them holds them together pretty well.

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I honestly think if you can them, you'll have nothing but mush left of them. Although, I do like the pickyourown.org site (mentioned above) and most of the instructions she shares.

We freeze them.

7. That's the thing, we buy these little jars of strawberries at the market, they are small, like 6 ounce glass jars, and the berries are whole in a light syrup. They are YUMMY. There has got to be some way to acomplish this for making strawberry shortcake this winter or whatnot?

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Well it certainly sounds delicious. I'll keep an eye on your thread - maybe someone will post a recipe/method for them.

9. ChknLvnFam

ChknLvnFam In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    The "Good Eats" show on the Food Network preserved strawberries by first exposing them to dry ice in a cooler and then relocating them to a normal freezer. You could make them mushy when you thaw them.

10. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Songster

I think the idea sounds yummy! Not quite jam, but sweet and juicy as a topping...you will need to send pics, of course [​IMG]

eta...this household volunteers to do come QC for you...you know, just in case...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: