Cannot decide what this chick is (breed or gender) to save my life...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by juliezoo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. juliezoo

juliezoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    NKY
    We bought 3 NH Red pullets and 3 mixed Bantams from our local TSC (in KY) and I knew walking int he door I wanted a silkie or two if they had them. Luckily they had 2 whites I snatched right up. Then I had to decide what I wanted my final chick to be.... not sure why I didn't just get another NH pullet but I saw this little black and buff in the mixed Bantams who was just so very tiny I had to take a chance. I have searched the pages here and the www a million times over but can't find anything that captures all the features this little one has. I'm *really* hoping someone here has an idea and I hope the characteristics will give an idea.....

* tiny... like smaller than the silkies and hasn't grown much in 3 weeks but is the most outgoing and active chick of the bunch.

* started off as white/buff down on most and some black on back and wings.

* now, at 3 weeks it has predominately black wings though the center of each wing feather is snow white in long stripes.

* to date down is still mostly white on head and pale white breast/belly but feathers are still coming in on most of the chick except wings where it is fully feathered and feathers coming in appear to be black about everywhere, so what started out as a buff puff ball is now looking like it's headed to nearly all black.

* here's an interesting characteristic.... grey legs but peachy toes?

So, male or female and any idea what Bantam breed? [​IMG]
    Thanks for helping us[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]
    maybe some type of sussex? This is my black sussex and she is tiny compared to all my others (even my EE is getting bigger and its almost 2 wks younger). He's not a social as my california white but he still fairly friendly
    she has the peach toes as well

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Silver laced Wyandotte. Looks like a pullet too, poor coloring.

4. juliezoo

Apr 6, 2012
    NKY
    Definitely has feet/toes that are similar, though ours does not have skin on the legs and feet quite as black. The black eyes and black and yellow beak are much the same too. I'm also wondering male or female? Tried the wing feather trick but they were nearly a week old and had a hard time deciding if the feathers were overlaid or alternating. Thanks for your pic... my oldest daughter was worried about the "strange" toes.

5. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i have no clue when it comes to male vs female. This is my first batch of chicks so i'm learning as i go :)

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    possible brahma by the comb...i'm having problems figuring out the color of my little brahma lol

light brahma chicks

[​IMG]

maybe a seabright (im leaning a lot more towards this breed)

silver seabright chick
    [​IMG][​IMG]

does it have feathered legs??

7. juliezoo

Apr 6, 2012
    NKY
    No feathers on the legs. Wondered about the Silver laced Wyandotte but very little white (hence the poor coloring if it is). Hoping I have all females but I guess if I end up with a roo it's a good thing it is tiny LOL.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    maybe its the silver seabright did it look like the seabright chicks above? it really looks like its going to be silver laced though

9. juliezoo

Apr 6, 2012
    NKY
    It didn't/doesn't look like the Sebrights in that it was more than half buff down when we brought it home and in the middle of the buff down we see black pin feathers, so it is definitely turning more black as it grows. what should/can I look for as to male or female? I'm new to raising chickens but have raise parrots just about my whole life and they seem so different.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  10. I was going to say Sussex also because the Light Sussex are black and white but looking again, not sure. Some chicks look totally different than what they will look like all grown up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by