Cannot Find Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eggdd, Aug 13, 2011.

1. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Good afternoon:

I'm looking for non-galvanized metal chicken feeders. Also, no plastics. Does anyone know where I can find some? Or have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could make a wooden one. Any other metals would probably be ultra expensive if they're even made. If you go to the Learning Center and look for a link to feeders there is a big page of different ones, some of which are wood.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Why all the No-no's just curious. Rubber feed pan's or buckets or maybe homemade PVC feeders may be your only choice.

4. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:the concern with plastic is two fold. 1) bpa contamination, and 2) environmental hazards

the concern with galvanized is also contamination - - specifically zinc.

i'm unsure about rubber - - and had not thought of it. my research starts now. thank you.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You won't find non-galvanized metal unless you have some custom made. Maybe you could do something with aluminum rain gutters.

You can buy rubber feed tubs and you can also use ceramic bowls. Get the kind rated for food use so glazes will be lead free. The crockery type ceramic bowls made for feeding dogs work well. They are pretty much non-tip.

If you check at the thrift stores, you can usually find small wooden bowls, and you can make your own treadle feeders out of wood.

As for water, you are going to be pretty much limited to ceramic bowls. Unless you can get someone to custom craft you a vacuum waterer out of copper. You can expect that to cost you a small fortune.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How about the stainless steel dog bowls large size sold at Walmart and pet stores? I have tried the rubber feed tubs and they work well. I take the powdery crumbles that are leftover in the bottom of my feeders and dump it in a rubber pan with water and make a mash--they prefer that over treats.

8. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Copper would make.a nice feeder and probably keep them entertained,,,but what about the plastic in EVERYTHING else in your life,,,,you could get the kind of plastic that doesn't have BPA in it

9. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    What about making a long wooden trough out of wood and using hollowed poles.

10. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:this is a good idea. thank you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by