Cannot get the temp regulated!! GRRRRR! Help plezzz!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erijn5, Feb 11, 2012.

1. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Before I put the eggs in the incubator, I ran it for 24 hrs and got the temp set at 99.5. Everything was perfect.

Now that I have put the eggs in there I cannot get it over 97. I was up at 1:30 and 4:30 turning that sucker up... [​IMG]

And I get up now with it still at the same temp!!! [​IMG] I have now turned it up yet again...it has almost beeen 12 hrs since I stuck the eggs in there. Do you think this will effect the eggs development terribly? Did I just ruin a whole batch..

THAT IS A BRAND NEW COMPLETE WAFER THERMOSTAT, why is it screwing up...help plezzzz!

[​IMG]

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    sounds like maybe a thermostat?? Do you have vents you can close? Maybe unplug it for a minute and let it sit and plug it back in and see if it restes?

3. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL

All vents are shut...I will try to reset..how long do I need to leave it unplugged?

4. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I would guess if you had it to temp before hand. It is the addition of the eggs that are keeping the temp down. once eggs are to temp it may settle in. Your heat source may be a bit undersized for the bator maybe. I dont think it has hurt the eggs.. I start mine as you do and the temp varies for the first day or so I just wait till day 2 to adjust.

5. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    a minute or so. What kind of bator
    ?

6. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I had a stryo years ago that would only go to 97 so I used it far a brooder. Stinks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL

It is a 3 shelf homemade bator..the guy hatched quail and phesants..out of it for yrs!! I assumed it would be a good one but as of right now it is making me very angry inside... [​IMG]

8. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I've got my first eggs in a bator so I'm no expert, but here's my thoughts. First of all I'm pretty confident that the hatch is not ruined. A degree or two too low is better at this point than "cranking it up" so far you turn your back and cook them. I'd also recommend giving it more time. Were your eggs at room temp when you put them in? Let's just say they were 70*, now you're raising them to 100* so that's a 30 degree increase, could take a while. Also, if the incubator worked just fine for 24 hours before hand, trust it to continue working. At least for a couple more hours. I believe if eggs get cool (not cold) they are fine, it just slows developement. Also how accurate is your thermometer? plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees? I have a thermometer with a probe too (one that would measure both inside and outside) and both temps never match. Is the bator still air? If so the temp on the bottom, top and at egg level will vary. Where are you measuring?

So that's MY thoughts so far. I'm sure more experienced people will also help you out soon

KimberlyJ ~have fun and enjoy!

9. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    One last thought!!! How are the draughts (drafts?) in your house? Do you heat with forced air? We don't, but hubby keeps turning on the ceiling fan....takes a degree out of my bator!!!

10. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Do you have 1 or 2 waffers in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by