Can't believe I have started again!!!!! OMG....it's almost time!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by luvmychicknkids, Jan 22, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I plan to start hatching again soon and wanted to order some already hatched babies, too, and I just placed the order for the babies......to be sent early next month, though. I am so excited. Like a kid waiting for the holidays!!!!! A few of them are for my mother a few for me. Here is what I ordered:
    2 Barred Holland pullets(for my mother)
    4 La Fleche pullets
    1 La Fleche cockerel
    3 Gold Brabanter (2 for mom 1 for me)
    2 Buff Minorca (mom)
    2 Naked Neck
    1 Porcelain Ductch Bantam
    1 Self Blue Silkie
    2 White Silkies
    2 White Crested Black Polish Bantams

Oh I just can't wait to see my new babies!!!! That gives me 14 new new babies!!!!! [​IMG]

Got a question for anyone who might know. I have NO experience with "packing peanuts". They say they add them if you order less than 1/4 a box. So, am I to assume 1/4 box is 25 chicks? Since that is the minimum order a lot of places I am assuming it is. I dread figuring out what to do with extra roos. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Roos are chickens too.

And they are delicious!

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:YUM [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yes, I am aware that roos are chickens. I don't raise my "cuddle chickens" to eat. Unless I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt who is an extra roo from day one they could not be eaten. I get attached too quickly and would have to separate myself immediately.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:At Ideal you can put insurance on your order and no packing peanuts will be sent. The packing peanuts will be different from all the breeds you order most likely sexlink or RIR roosters so you would be able to tell them apart from when you got them and not cuddle them to much [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Post pics when they arrive so everyone can help you sort them out if your are not certain which is which. That way you will know who is a "packing peanut" and who is not.

Just put in your mind right now that unless the "packing peanuts" are pullets by some chance, they will go in the freezer. That way you mentally distance yourself from them and will know that you have good food coming for your family. [​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, I have no issue with raising them to eat as long as I can tell who is who. [​IMG] I am glad to know they will be different from my others....and most of mine I ordered should be pretty easy to pick out. I just couldn't get to know them, love them, and THEN eat them!!! Anyone raised for meat around here will be cared for well, but NEVER named and snuggled. [​IMG] I thought about the insurance, but to me that indicates they almost EXPECT your babies to die if you don't have the extra babies for warmth so I decided to just risk it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I bought chicks on the 10th (Standard Cochins and Turkens) and my order for Speckled Sussex and Leghorns will be here in a month!
    [​IMG]

9. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Just Don't make eye contact!! [​IMG]

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That's how I have to do it here. I promised my DH that the way the incubator works (which in this case is a little harder) is that the pullets stay with the flock and the cockerels are for dinner. I have to mentally build myself up for that! This method is a little trickier beings that they all look the same when they hatch and I don't really get a good idea as who is what for at least a month. Nobody gets a name here until after that point. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by