1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't believe I have to ask... Roo or Hen?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fanov8, Feb 20, 2013.

1. fanov8

fanov8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Ok, this guy/gal was born on our farm back in October. I thought for sure it was a rooser since he/she started to show wattles and a comb at around 8 weeks or so. Well, now he/she is 4 months old and nothing. Not the first crow or even attempt to act like a rooster! I only have 2 hens and neither are laying right now so I just don't know what to think. Any help would be great. His/Her mother is the SLBW and the father was a mutt rooster that looks alot like he/she does. I'm so confused!

*********BIGGER PICS IN POST 5*******

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edited to enlarge pictures

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I'm gonna lean towards hen. The feet puzzle me though. Can we have a closer headshot/footshot?

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    pics are too small to see clearly. even when clicking on, size stays the same.

4. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN

Yeah, I even tried to resize them and wasn't able to. I don't know what the heck I did wrong. Let me see what else I can do to fix it!

5. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Ah ha! I figured it out. It will not let me edit the orginal post with the new pics so I will add them here. Hopefully this will help! Thanks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickenoverlord

chickenoverlord Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a cockerel, should start crowing in the next month or so!

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That worked! Do I see rooster feathers on the wing- they're darker than the white feathers around them and seem to have some shiny edging to them too? Part the feathers on back and by the tail to see if you see pin feathers with darker feathers like that coming up.. my guess if you see that, it's his roo feathers coming in.

If I had to guess right now, a slow maturing roo...

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, slow maturing rooster. If his daddy's still around that can inihibit him from crowing, or maybe he's just a late bloomer.

9. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Yeah hes a guy!

10. DavKarm

DavKarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Love those late bloomers!

We had a chicken that I thought was a rooster, but my husband reassured me, "No, she's a pullet....she doesn't have any of the signs of a rooster."

Two months later, "she" started crowing. Now he is our top rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by