Can't believe I'm considering..anyone keep a Roo caged in the house?

crazy4eggsJulie

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 15, 2009
We aren't allowed to have chickens in our country (but restricted) subdivision. I really want to keep a rooster but am afraid it will result in a neighbor complaint and us loosing all of our hens.

I know it sounds CRAZY,
lol.png
but does anyone keep a rooster caged in their home and just let it out to breed?

The one we have now ( thought it was a hen untill it started crowing) crows all day long! He's just asking for trouble but he is my 7 year old daughter's baby and she doesn't want me to get rid of him!

Any thoughts!?!

If he's already crowing, your neighbors have already heard him. Talk to them. Maybe they don't mind.

When I first got my 'illegal' roo, I crated him in the house at night and turned him out with the girls in the mornings after the neighbors went to work. The neighbors have commented on him and they don't mind him, so he stays outside 24/7 now. The only thing I do now is not turn on the back porch light when I sneak out at 2 am to not do a bad habit in the house. The one time I did that, he crowed for 30 minutes. I was so embarrassed. (I call him my smoke detector now. lol)

lol.png

That is so funny! Busted by a Roo! I appreciate the info. We asked our direct neighbors on either side and they are fine. But, he's so loud...I'm afraid someone down the way will complain. We've invested a lot into building a coop, a wooden fence around it (because we live out-there are SO MANY wild animals looking for a meal) and in alot of specialty birds. I sure don't want to lose that...but, I'd also like for them to be able to reproduce at some point. I'm so torn...

I had the same situation and the neighbors were fine with my chickens and rooster. The HOA voted to let me have chickens even though it isn't legal where I live. I live in a very small development of only about 25 houses and we all know each other personally. I kept the close by neighbors supplied with eggs to make sure they stayed happy.

He will get better. Have you tried putting a radio out near the coop on a country music station. That can help keep away unwanted visitors and it will get the roo used to different noises so he does crow all the time. It worked for mine and he is SOOOOOOOOOO loud. Something about the songs then talking on the radio does the trick. Good Luck.

I occasionally let my kids bring in a chick or the dog or cat for a few minutes and then I sweep, vacuum, and lysol everywhere!

Both my DH and I are ANTI-House critters....No animals live in the house here! That is the #1 rule. I say don't do it
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom