Can't believe it.......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minna, Nov 6, 2008.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Today was supposed to be hatch day, but as I stated in an earlier post on day 13 I had a power outage and was out for 6 hrs on the coldest day we have had so far. I decided my eggs were probably gone, candled a few days later and the ones I candled didn't look like they were progressing. But, I was half way thru and what could it hurt to try. So I left them. Kept turning them and hoped for the best. This morning I went out to feed my babies. I noticed the humidity on my bator was low, I opened it to add water. I went back to replace my container and heard a different sounding peep. At first I didn't think anything of it, b/c I was standing next to a brooder with 70 chicks in it, hungry chicks, so of course I heard cheeps. Then I head it again, it was muffled and quiet and seemed to come from the bator. I thought "no way" But sure enough on the second tray, the tray I was sure where not going to hatch, was a chirping egg. On closer inspection I noticed a small hole with a beak. I left it alone all day and went out an hr or later and it had hatched. I'm hoping that in the next few days maybe another egg or two will decided to make it. I'm sooo excited. I had 36 in there so maybe I can come out with one or two. Today is a GREAT day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG] Yay!! That is great news!! [​IMG]

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Wishing you the very best on your hatch. Being cold for a little while is better than being too hot. It may take an extra day for the little ones to catch up. Hang in there and keep your fingers crossed.

Edited because my mind goes faster than my fingers and I left out a word.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. minna

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Got another one hatching! 2/36!

5. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    COngrats, I am sure you will have more.

6. minna

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    He didn't make it. [​IMG] He was fine, don't know what happened. My dh says it's b/c I took him out too early, but that's only b/c his best friend told him that last night, dh told me to take it out to begin with. [​IMG] I think I might have over heated him. I'm so used my brooder, it takes all the guess work out. There are two more hatching, but one of them dh said he just had to help b/c it was stuck, so even though I told him to leave them alone and let nature take it's course, he helped it. He said the membrane was rubbery? The other is zipped and making great progress. I am leaving all of them in there until the new coops are built tomorrow, then I can put them in my brooder, where I have everything set up with no guess work. I guess it's like everyone said It's a learning experience. I know everything about day old chicks, but nothing about hatching them.

7. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    good luck on your hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by