Can't believe my 6 month old RIR pullet laid this HUGE egg! Pic!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Jan 28, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Well, I'm in shock! I went out to gather my eggs yesterday and I found that one of my 4 RIR pullets laid an enormous egg! I have gotten some very large eggs from my older RIR's, but never one like this from a pullet. I have 6 pullets (two Bantam Cochins and four RIR's) and they are kept separately from the older girls.

The picture is of all the eggs I collected yesterday. The first two rows are from the older girls. The last row is from the pullets. The egg in question is at the bottom right. It weighs 3.2 ounces! Of course, no one is telling who is the culprit [​IMG], so I have no idea which one of them is responsible!

[​IMG]

I just had to share! [​IMG] Genie

2. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    That is SOO COOL!! If you find out who the culprit is, tell me!!

3. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    That is one big egg! My RIR's give me some good sized ones from time to time ( they are 9mo now ).

What kind of hen laid the green egg?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Hi,

The green egg comes from my one and only Easter Egger. I got her completely by accident and she is a dependable layer (and very quiet, too). I'm very pleased with her! Genie

5. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    Quote:Hi,

The green egg comes from my one and only Easter Egger. I got her completely by accident and she is a dependable layer (and very quiet, too). I'm very pleased with her! Genie

You should serve ham with that egg...[​IMG] Sorry, I know it's lame, but I just HAD to say it!!

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I had a NHR laying that size at 5 mo. and regular, every day! Double yolker each time......until she got egg bound! Beautiful bird with amazingly large "goose" eggs~and I had to put her down. [​IMG]

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Wow! What an egg! Wonder if it's a double yolker?

Lovely shade of green on the EE egg too. What breed laid the darkest egg, top right?

8. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Oh, how sad. I hope I don't lose this RIR for that reason. I rather get smaller eggs and have my hen be healthy and live a long, happy life. Hope it never happens to you again. Genie

9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:I'm hoping it will be a double yolker, that would be my first! The dark egg is from one of my older RIR's. I got them full grown but I'm thinking they are probably at least 3 years old now. Genie

10. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Quote:I'm hoping it will be a double yolker, that would be my first! The dark egg is from one of my older RIR's. I got them full grown but I'm thinking they are probably at least 3 years old now. Genie

I have 2 RIR and 1 Comet that are the same age...I'm not sure which was laying 1st...but we went through a couple of weeks with LARGE eggs that were all double yolkers... they've settled down now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by