Can't believe what I am seeing!!!! updated w/pics!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepmommy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    So those crafty hens are at it again!!! I thought I was finished finding all of their hidden nests, but today I came across a huge nest with 55 eggs!!! That's 90 total eggs that I have found hidden!!!! [​IMG] I am so mad at my hens right now!!!! I have revamped their coop a little and am going to lock them in fully for about 2 weeks to remind them where they need to lay. My biggest problem is that we built their coop in a stall in our barn. They have an outside door which they come and go until dusk. They are able to sneak into the barn through the sliding door that pulls away from the side of the barn. So, unfortunately, they have full run of the barn which they obviously love to lay EVERYWHERE!!!

Does anyone know if locking them back in for a little will retrain them?? Any tips are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Do you put dummy/decoy eggs in the nestboxes where you want them to lay?

3. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    Yup

4. oh boy!! i thought that finding 17 eggs was bad enough!

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Post a picture of the nest!

6. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    this is the first nest of 35. the second is the nest of 55...

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Hens will lay where the other hens have laid their eggs. Yours seem to have compounded that into a huge communal habit.

Yes, I believe you can retrain them to lay in their proper nest boxes, but you'll have to confine them for several weeks to get them to follow new habits. As long as they have access to the entire barn, though, they are likely to keep trying to find new places to lay. My girls have the choice of two coops and seven nest boxes, and they tend toward variety in their laying habits, laying in different boxes on different days.

My four newest pullets began laying a few months ago, and they were beginning to choose to lay their eggs on the floor next to the nest box. I was keeping a close eye on them during this "break-in" period, so I was able to catch them in the act, and place them in the nest box to complete the job. After those first few times, there were no more eggs on the floor.

All those wasted eggs! Sigh. How big is the flock?

8. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    It is hard to seal the barn up completely. They find the smallest holes to squeeze through. I do not want them in the rest of the barn, though!!! Too much chicken poop! Anyway, we have 9 hens and 1 roo. They are pretty young still-8 months. I was hoping 2 weeks would be long enough to retrain them. Should it be longer?

9. prairie

prairie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Kansas
    We are having the same problem. We free range the chickens and my husband found a nest in the tractor shed among some old rags. He took out the 2 eggs and decided to lay a bunch of iron chain in there so she wouldn't come back and use it again. Well she did! Layed another egg the next day right on top of the iron chain. So our ladies are locked up -- I was think a week but think I will keep them locked in for a couple of weeks to make sure.

10. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    At least you found them before you hit the number we did!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by