Can't bend his legs..?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinkleTurkey, Nov 1, 2010.

1. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I'm sort of new to hatching eggs, so this is the first time i've seen anything like this.
    She's 24 hours old, can't walk. Doesnt seem to be able to bend her legs (ankle, whatever)
    Just flops around and cries.

Can it be fixed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    can you tell if her legs are broken or injured?? If not they just may be splayed. Some people have addressed this before on the forum - they use bandaids to keep the feet/legs closed together so the chick can't stand. They also need non-slip flooring to help keep feet under them. If you search "splayed legs/feet" I'm sure you will come up with detailed advice or someone posting next will know more. I believe in a few days- the bandaids can work wonders and the chick will be able to hold his legs properly.

Maybe you could put her in a small box or container- just big enough for her - this keeps the legs close to the body, you can hand feed her and offer water frequently and see if that helps.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS I meant to say the bandaids will keep the feet under them so they CAN stand. Sometimes the chicks will just keep picking them off but try anyway.

4. TinkleTurkey

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I did see some methods for correcting splayed leg, but the problem seems to be that she can't bend her legs. if I taped them together I don't think she could stand up either way but... can't stand up as it is, so maybe I will try?

5. TinkleTurkey

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I found the smallest band-aid I could find and cut it in half so it wont cover her toes or constrict the ankles
    Seems to correct the horizontal, what to do about the vertical?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by