Cant break my broodies!!

JLS

Love my feathered babies!
13 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I dont know how to break them or even if it's possible!! I have 2 broodies. One is healthy my other is a sad case indeed! I remove them from the boxes countless times per day. I have put both in wire bottom cages for days on end. I put them on the roosts each evening!

As I stated above, one has become quite thin! I give her extra treats and put her in front of the feeder each time I remove her from the box. She eats a little and takes a few sips of water. Then she's back to the box!
he.gif
Their broodiness has continued for 2 months!!

The vet told me that it's hormonal and to simple continue to do what I am and they will stop after a few weeks....they wont stop!!
somad.gif
HELP!!

I have a hen JUST like that! I live in Texas, and the coop gets insanely hot during the day. I take her eggs away from her, take her out of the box and place her over by the waterer. She meanders off like she's going to quit...then 10 minutes later I come back and she's in the box!
he.gif
Not even on eggs. She bites at me and such other broody behavior. The other day we didn't know she was in there, and she almost died of dehydration cause she REFUSED to get off of her ONE lonely little egg.
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

What breed(s) are these hens? Some birds are just more determined to brood, it would be better to let her set or rehome her to someone who would instead of continuing to try and change her nature. When you put them in the broody buster wire-bottomed cage make sure it's set up high, up on blocks or sawhorses, or hanging from rafters, so they get a nice breeze up under their bare breasts. Make sure they have food & water, but NO bedding. Keep them in there all day & night for 3 or more days in a row. Find a place for them that's sheltered from sun & rain, but still gets lots of light.

Quote:
My broodies are Buff Orpingtons. I have entertained the idea of re-homing them but I dont know anyone who will take them (particularly the thin one). I wish I had the space to let them brood out a batch but I dont. I did try the wire cage on both... the healthy one did temperarily stop (about 1 week) then she was back at it again!! The thin one refused to eat or drink while she was caged. The only way she'd eat was out of the hand
sad.png
She just wont stop being broody!

you have a persistent broody, what i do is give them wood eggs let them sit by themselves in a nest box 'alone' (cat box) away for all other hens and eggs, give them food and water, them leave them alone, wait 2 weeks min. remove eggs and box, do not let them sit anywhere, even if you need to put them in a wire cage off the ground. they should be broke 2-3 days after removing eggs and box. by doing this you are allowing the hormones finish out. by just taking your bird off the nest and letting them go back they haven't completed the process so the keep at it.

Quote:
this works only if you catch you broody within a day or two, a long standing broody will not stop in a few days, a good gage to go by is for every day broody it will take 2-3 to brake her. so a 4 day broody will take a min of 8 days to break

Quote:
Has that worked for you? Would I have to remove them from the coop or just give them a private box? I have noticed that they are very aggressive with my 9 week old chicks! If one of the little ones gets anywhere near them they'll lash out badly. Oddly, the broodies tolerate the older hens and even share their box.

I didn't read all the posts but I broke my broodie hen by closing the chicken coop. Yep, shut it up until night time. Some of my girls may have laid there eggs in a different location but after a few days the broodie girl stopped clucking and was back to normal.

You maybe want to get some protein into that thin hen. Set her up in a different cage if you have too. She does need to eat. Have any baby chicks you can give the broodies?

Quote:
this works only if you catch you broody within a day or two, a long standing broody will not stop in a few days, a good gage to go by is for every day broody it will take 2-3 to brake her. so a 4 day broody will take a min of 8 days to break

OH NOOOO!!! It will take me forever to break them!!!!!!
hit.gif

Quote:
Has that worked for you? Would I have to remove them from the coop or just give them a private box? I have noticed that they are very aggressive with my 9 week old chicks! If one of the little ones gets anywhere near them they'll lash out badly. Oddly, the broodies tolerate the older hens and even share their box.

it has worked many times, and yes they will if given the chance, kill or hurt your younger chicks, its a not mine, go away thing, if you have a different area it would be the best

Back
Top Bottom