can't catch my chicks

afj6710

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
A little over a week ago, we got our first chickens - a group of 5 chipmunk-looking babies that are about 4-5 weeks old (not really sure) and the next day we got 6 more chickens from someone else that are around 6-7 weeks old (we think). I don't think either group was handled by humans too much before we got them but I know they were some. But, we are having such a difficult time catching them! We have one (barred rock around 5 weeks old, maybe?) that I haven't been able to catch a single time other than the day we got her. The chipmunk (younger ones) are easier to catch than the 2nd group we got - and are actually picking on the older and bigger chickens!
lol.png
When you catch them, they will sit in your hand or lap for a minute once they've calmed down.

I worry that one of them will get injured or need help in some other way, and I won't be able catch it and help it. Will they eventually just warm up to us? Or should we work on trying to catch them and handle them as much as possible?

Oh, our coop is pretty large - around 20x12 - so they have a ton of space to run from us.
wink.png

Here are a couple of pics of the babies (from the first group)

75089_img_1105.jpg

I'm assuming this one is going to be a Roo for now. Not only is it the biggest of this group, but it tries to be the "sheriff" of all the chickens, pecking at anyone who gets out of line, but also has the lightest barring.
75089_img_1111.jpg

75089_img_1096.jpg

75089_img_1108.jpg

My chicks used to do the same when they were little. They are now 15 weeks old and still run but finally seem to be warming up to us a bit. I wonder if it is just a phase that they all go through?
hu.gif

everytime I go to watch chicken TV
wink.png
( or any other reason ) I announce the fact that Im coming out very loudly with a " chick... chick... chick... chickeeeennnssssss. " I repeat it a few times and ALWAYS have a treat with me. They have learned that when I call to them that way its treat time. They come every time.... sure makes it easy to lock them up at bed time and also lets them know im the food lady and the food lady is good..
wink.png
They no longer run from us... they run too us .. its awesome really(((( I'd never say that in a room full of non chicken people)))

Wendy:love

ETA :
welcome-byc.gif
your gonna love it here on BYC

Last edited:
I'm doing the same thing too. My call is, "Heeeeere Chicky Chicky Chicky!" And they all come running, and then I treat them. But if you want to hold them or anything, forget it!
lol.png
They RUN from you like you're going to kill them or something.
tongue.png

I can tell they are warming up to us though because the other day I was sitting down at my patio and they waddled their little fuzzy butts over to me and just stood there for a bit. One even started sunning itself!
lol.png
But if you make any sudden movements then they get scared.

I bought some 4 month old Americauna's that have never been handled. They would run like heck and I couldn't catch them. I had to corner them in the coop and they would literally scream "BA-KAWK!!! BA-KAWK!!!" Like I was trying to kill them. When I did catch them they would pant, and not even want to eat a treat from me. So I went to wall-mart and for $2.50 bought a container of blueberries. Turn out they LOVED them! I first threw them on the ground and they would eat them, then it because a competition of who would get a blueberry first, so I made them take it from my hand. A few days of this and they were tame as anything. Today I had my one hen sitting in my lap eating bits of bread. It made a huge difference.

Just don't try to catch them for a while until they gain a little trust. If every time they see you you try to grab them they instinctually run, but if you treat them they run towards you lol.

Had the same problem. Embedded their little pen inside the big run of my adult hens-- in the corner, but they could get away by running between the side of their cage & the side of the big run. My husband would stand at one end -- me at the other. We'd trap them little buggers & pick them up (just at bedtime-- didn't want to overhandle 'em). I'd coo to 'em a bit & put 'em to bed. Now at 11 weeks, they finally stand still & let me pick 'em up-- still holler, but not as bad. I think it is just a stage, regardless of whether they're handled from birth or not. Pics of the girls & the mini-run for jueviniles is on my BYC page. Good luck-- what fun!
woot.gif

They will not respond well to your chasing them, in any sense. Bribe them, sit with them, talk to them, try not to startle them. Approach from the side with your hand rather than from above, as much as possible. I have a few that are getting curious and lightly pecking at my fingertips if I talk to them; they're starting to let me sort of pet their chests. Sometimes I can slide my hand under their belly and pick them up like a wine glass, and they will sit on my knee, even settle down and nap.

I still cant catch mine, but I give them treats all the time ( peas, carrots, corn etc..) and now they always come running. Also I go find them worms, and bugs, and they come running if I have the shovel
wink.png

You may not necessarily every be able to just pick them up like a cat or something, but you can have them come running like mine, and follow you around
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom