can't clip crossbeak

Bokbok

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
I am such a woosie. You all told me I needed to clip the crossed beak on my baby chick. I picked her up and tried to clip it with toenail clippers. I clipped just the very end off the top and then off the bottom, but she cried horribly when I did it, and I was too shaken to try to take anymore length off. Does this hurt the bird? Please tell me the truth! Because she peeped very loudly like she was gettng hurt! Or was she just scared? Maybe I should wait until she's older (she's a little over two weeks old now). I know you are all shaking your heads probably because I think it hurts her when it is really just like clipping a toenail. Will she live if I leave it the way it is? Please, your moral support is needed.....

As long as you clipped it enough to even the upper and lower parts to match up better. I think she was frightened, not being hurt. Mine act like that when I do their toenails.
You can use a deep dish for food and water to make it easier for her to scoop it out.

My dog used to scream when I clipped his toenails- UNTIL I got this really nice "guillotine" style, very sharp, clipper. Now he doesn't care at all- and it takes 1/3 the time. Worth the $15 for sure!

Perhaps you need a different type of clipper and then it will be so fast and efficient that the chick will not panic anymore? Just a thought.

-MTchick

Don't feel to bad. I can't do my cross beak either. I just take her to my vet & they do it for $5.00. It is so worth the money for me to not have to do it myself.

Back
Top Bottom