Can't Decide! Octagon Eco or 1588 hovabator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dusky Beauty, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I think I have been flip flopping for a year + over which tabletop bator I should buy!

Both these models; the octagon 20 eco, and the 1588 hovabator with an auto turner, have very good reviews, and are pretty much "idiot proof".

My source of pause, is I am not sure which would hold humidity better-- I live in a very arrid climate and I'll be hatching some chicken eggs, but mostly duck eggs.

The biggest downside to the eco as far as I can tell is it won't hold goose or turkey eggs--- or does it?

biggest downside to the hovabator is it's styrofoam and probably a little harder to clean up....

I know we get a million incubator threads, but all my homework and searches hangs me up between these two and I just can't decide!!!

2. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I believe the hovabator is also cheaper. I have one and I love it. I have really good hatches. I would suggest getting a hygrometer if you get the hovabator because I do have trouble keeping the humidity at a steady rate.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The hovabator is cheaper, but it's also not as nice or as easy to get good hatch rates. If I had it all to do over again, I'd save for a couple of months and get a better brand.

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I have the octagon ECO and I love it, it's very easy to clean. It holds humidity pretty well and I like that I can rotate the eggs without opening it (without the auto-turner). I have not tried putting larger eggs like turkey or goose eggs in it though, seems like they would fit, although you wouldn't get too many of them in there because they're so large

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I was told that octagon ECO Is very very good!

6. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I feel like the price difference between the hovabator and the eco is inconsequential... they are close enough to be the same "level" of incubator imo.

It really would help if someone could tell me if they DID hatch goslings or turkey poults in the eco-- I'm breeding broad breasted turkey crosses and the mamas are too hefty to brood :(
    Edit: the add does say it can hold 9 goose eggs, and I read an account from someone who said they hatched 2 emu eggs in it O_O

If you were to recommend an incubator at say a 400$ range or below, what would it be? (I don't think I can sweet talk my way up to 500)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by