Can't decide the breed I want!

kisat

Songster
12 Years
Apr 1, 2007
Washington State
Hey all!
smile.png

So it's been awhile since I've been on here. The last time was really I think after my last Buff Orpington mix passed away. Just shut down the idea of chickens for a while. Grieved for quite a bit. Now I feel like I still see that last hen out there in her coop sometimes. Miss them so much!

So...

We're looking to get chickens again! Yay!
wee.gif
ya.gif

But...

I don't know which breed to choose! Rather than narrow down, I seem to keep going up with ideas!

The last ones were given when a friend wanted get rid of some. We're only allowed to keep three here. My gosh right?! But with four dogs (they can free range in the same yard as the dogs like our last chicken had been and basically RAN the yard! lol), one cat, two parakeets and some fish, I'd say that's a good deal there. lol I know of a man in Stanwood, WA that sells chickens and right now he has Barred Rocks and RIR's. I'm thinking next spring will be a better time to buy chickens so that I can take apart the coop, completely clean it out and rebuild bigger and better since last time we were rushed by my friend or she was going to kill them! This time we can do it better! Those are the two breeds I'm leaning toward. But I seem to then research and become interested in EE's and more. So hopefully you guys can help me decide which would be best! Course, we could just mix and match the RIR's and Barred Rocks when we get some so who knows. I'm looking for a winter hardy bird (just in case we have a bad winter, though in WA, we don't usually get too cold, but last yr we'd gotten down to 14*!), excellent egg-layer, and perhaps one which is a little quieter. Although the latter is not a problem. Our Buff mixes went back and forth between quiet and not and none of the neighbors had issues.

So could you give me some ideas on those two breeds: what are they like, which would be better? Or throw in your own suggestion?

I'll throw my own opinion in. . .

If I were you, I'd get Marans, Ameraucanas, or Olive Eggers. From quality breeders. We over on the west end of WA have them, and they're very hardy to our climate, (rain, wind, snow, lack of sun) very quiet and friendly, do well with other breeds and with kids, and lay GORGEOUS eggs. Also, ours lay at least once every other day.

And no, just because they're not pet quality does not mean they're expensive.
smile.png

5034584520_e9df45d026_z.jpg

5036500937_fb4eaf00d5_o.jpg

5034600200_90794c0d9b_z.jpg

5037328434_9055e22377_o.jpg

5036827141_e95136a1af_o.jpg

I have 4 RIR girls. Last week I put a bird monitor out on the coop so I can listen to them. They have not made hardly any noise at all. I can hear all the wild birds, but my girls are so quiet. They talk alot when I go out to the coop, but I think it's because I bring lots of tasty treats. This is my first time with chickens and they are 19 wks old tomorrow. I was told that RIR's are noisy - well I wish they would make just a little noise..lol, so I can listen.

Hello--

Ask yourself a few questions this time......Do you want alot of eggs? Do you want brown, white, or some interesting color of eggs? Maybe you'd like a pretty chicken and you're not really concerned with how many eggs you get. Climate is something you're already thinking about, and then there's temperament.

Something to consider is, the hybrid breed. Now, they're not flashy, but I have Golden Buffs, and they are around four pounds, and they're really egg laying machines! Those little girls lay a big, beautiful brown egg, and they rarely missed a day their first and second seasons.

Since you've mentioned EEs, I'd like to say that I've had three, and they're a nice size (around 4 lbs), and mine were real good layers. One layed a pale, olive green colored egg, while the other two layed a pale, sea foam green egg. The eggs were medium in size. They are just beautiful.

I've got a Barred Rock, and she's just a calm, lovely hen. I think there's nothing more classically beautiful than the barred, black and white coloring of the Barred Rock. Now, they're very cold weather tolerant too.

The RIR is another classic hen. Excellent layer, but still, nothing beats my Golden Buff hybrids yet.....and I've had several breeds. Their eggs were a nice, rich terra cotta brown too. Beautiful big eggs!

So, I think, with what you've mentioned, whatever you pick, it's a good choice! Maybe you should pick one of each? LOL

Good luck with your decision.

PS: Bantam breeds are little hens--the mini-me of the standard size, and you might be able to sneak another one or two in your coop....Shhhh! You didn't hear that from me!
wink.png

Barred Rocks and Rhode ISland REds are wonderful. I am a first time chicken owner and I love my two. They are definetly cold hardy and they are good together. BRs are sooo sweet. I would get them.

Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and Marans for beauty. Birds and Eggs.
White Leghorns and Black Sex links for consistent eggs...

My suggestion is a couple of EEs and a BR. That's if you stick to the legally allowed 3 chickens.

If you want to push it, then get - as hinted oh so quietly by chicmom - four bantam EEs and - if you can find 'em - two bantam BRs.

Six bantams equal 3 large fowl chickens. Honest!

*innocent expression*

If you want a good egg layer with a great personality then you should get Australorps.

EEs do lay fancy eggs, but the glamor of the color wears off and then you are left with small chicken that isn't very nice and lays only 3-4 eggs medium sized eggs a week.

I have never had full grown RIRs since I found the pullet to aggressive so I sold them, the RIRs are actually more aggressive than my Leghorns!

BRs are very nice and they are great layers mine have been laying an egg a day for over a 9 months! although they did wait until they were 30 weeks old to start.

I hope that this was more helpful than long-winded.

Back
Top Bottom