Can't decide what to do next...***UPDATE on post #9***

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I've been staring at those empty coops for a few days now and trying to get my head around what happened. (I posted on the Predators forum about the theft of my flock.) So now I am trying to decide a few things: (1) do I want more chickens? (2) is it safe to get more chickens or will they just be stolen too? (3) how to keep them from being stolen? (I already had the coops padlocked and the thieves just cut the locks off); (4) is it worth the time and effort it would take to try to find some of my old bloodlines? (5) should I start fresh with a new breed? or (6) just forget the whole thing?

I've been going round and round in endless circles inside my head trying to figure out what to do. Or even if I should do anything at all and just be grateful I still have the 10 Buff Rocks the thieves didn't take.

Is there anyone out there who has been through something like this that might offer a few thoughts here? #4 on my list is really biting me. I'm so afraid they'll all just be stolen again.

I'm stymied.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

It might be nice to get a few of the original flock back from wherever you got them from. It would take some effort, just depends on how important they were to you and how much time and effort you want to spend. I might want to try to incubate some for next year. It gripes me that people feel your stuff is theirs for the taking. GRRR

You can always install a keyless entry system, they would have to break the code or rip it off...Honestly, the lock only keeps out the honest thieves. [​IMG] If they want in bad enough they want in.

I have not been through this with a theft from the 2 legged critters but with a 4 legged critter. You are completely dumbfounded and stymied is a good word to use! I don't know what to tell you but go with your gut instinct of what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think there are people on the forum that will have some really great security advice for you. Once you have that information, I think you'll be able to decide the other questions on your list a lot easier.

Your story was heartbreaking. I wish I could do something to help. Fortunately, the forum has a lot of savvy people on it.

5. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I've been thinking about your situation ever since I first read about it. That's a tough one! Maybe a motion-activated alarm system? Or is there some kind of security system that you could arm when you lock the coops at night that would alert you in your house if someone tampered with them? How about bright motion-activated lights as well as an alarm?

It is so upsetting that you have to go to such lengths to protect your flock.

Hang in there! And try to find some more of your heritage birds!

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I suggest installing a motion-detecting camera (the kind that snaps photos). You need the kind that doesn't flash, though, so the thieves wouldn't see the camera taking pics.

I also suggest getting a very mean dog and allowing it to run loose in your yard at night. [​IMG]

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    yu could try posting signs about haveing security camaras and put up a fake one,or some real ones,they really arent that expensive anymore.

8. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    There's a lady on the predators page that installed some kind of mothion alarm and it has flashing lights when it goes off and you hear it in the house has a remote control. I think it was like $30. or something like that. I want to say Gatorpupsmom but I could be wrong.

As far as your birds go. You wouldn't be asking these ?'s if you weren't already thinking on this line. I would say that you should follow your heart and those birds were your heart. Find some eggs from some of the birds you passed on to others and hatch you some babies from your Grandpa's line. Install that alarm and flashing light. Enjoy your birds and don't let that 2 legged jerk steal the peace you found in your birds as stealing your birds was bad enough

Well that is my 2 cents.

9. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    When you get bucked off, you climb back on, right? So that is what I am doing.

I talked to my son and he will be here over the weekend to install some sensors. We've already got them on the trucks, trailers, and equipment. You open the door, it trips the sensor, and an alarm goes off in the house. There is a panel with lights that tell you which sensor went off. He is going to hook up the same stuff to the coops and each of my horse stalls. I've been worried ever since this happened that my horses might be the next to be stolen and, hopefully, this will eliminate that fear.

I may never expand my flock, but at least the Rocks I've still got will get to stay put! Plus we are tattooing the horses, the dogs, and banding the chickens, updating the photos, and all that good stuff.

I am also looking into a security camera or 3 for the barn paddock so that I can check on my crew any time I want without having to walk the 300 yards to the barn in the dark.

I want to thank everyone for all their suggestions and support. You all helped me find my backbone again. It was missing for a few days there for awhile.

Thanks again!

[​IMG]

edited to add that local law enforcement tells me that 2 steers and 4 dairy goats were also stolen from our area on the same night our chickens were taken. There is no sign of any of them. They have no expectation of recovery of any of them. [​IMG]

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I"m so sorry this happened to you..

dont forget to post SIGNS - "No trespassing signs" "Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law" and... although I'm quite certain it wouldnt happen (and I hope it wouldnt) ..it never hurts to do a scare tactic..

"Tresspasser will be given one warning - then shot!" [​IMG]

Sorry..couldnt resist...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by